Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of 5.3L heads over regular 243's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantage of 5.3L heads over regular 243's?

I'm looking at the Patriot cylinder heads as these are in my price range. What's the real difference between the two? Also would running a 5.3L head cause PTV clearance issues with a Torquer V3 cam? My car is N/A with no nitrous but I'm shooting for a street animal with just an affordable heads and cam set-up. Would the LS6 stage II heads be a better choice?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The port design & goals for the cylinder heads determine a lot on which combo is best for you. We have engine dyno data from Precision Race Components cylinder heads with the Torquer 3 camshat. IF you get some time give us a call, I can provide you with power gain data from PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads or PRC LS6 heads installed on a stock bottom end. We've done extensive dyno testing with the Torquer on all of our cylinder head combos & have valve configurations specific to that camshaft that will allow for a little bit more compression than some of the competitors heads.

I think you'll find tons of results in the dyno section on PRC heads & Torquer 3 camshafts. It's definately one of our most popular combos & I've personally seen it make 550 flywheel hp no problem!!

Give us a call & we can provide you with engine dyno data so you can make a well educated decision on which cylinder head works best for your application.

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The port design & goals for the cylinder heads determine a lot on which combo is best for you. We have engine dyno data from Precision Race Components cylinder heads with the Torquer 3 camshat. IF you get some time give us a call, I can provide you with power gain data from PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads or PRC LS6 heads installed on a stock bottom end. We've done extensive dyno testing with the Torquer on all of our cylinder head combos & have valve configurations specific to that camshaft that will allow for a little bit more compression than some of the competitors heads.

I think you'll find tons of results in the dyno section on PRC heads & Torquer 3 camshafts. It's definately one of our most popular combos & I've personally seen it make 550 flywheel hp no problem!!

Give us a call & we can provide you with engine dyno data so you can make a well educated decision on which cylinder head works best for your application.

Jason
Not to hijack, but I've some similar questions as the OP.

I'm trying to figure out which of your heads (5.3 or 243) would be better for my application. I'm basically running a stock shortblock with the ASA cam, and the car is run mostly as an autocross car, which basically means that I need plenty of low end grunt and a 'decent' top end. I'm not concerned about drag times or dyno numbers.

Also, how much milling could I get away with on either head and still have plenty of PTV clearance w/o having to flycut? As you will recall, the ASA has .521 lift.

Anyway, I'm convinced I'm going to go with some PRC heads in January - February of next year, I just need to figure out which ones are best.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are the specs for the ASA
GMPP ASA Cam
226/236 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
110 LSA
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

If youre looking to run a n/a street setup, than I would think you would want your compression as high as possible. The 5.3 heads will bump your compression up to around 11:1, and you can even have them milled or run a thin cometic gasket for more compression. Forced induction motors like a lower compression, but for you I would highly suggest the 5.3 heads with a cam in the 224-230 range for the street. Dont go too big on the duration for the street, cuz you will start to sacrifice your low end (usable) power, especially with a 6-speed. If you were runnign an auto with a stall, you can get away with a bigger cam cuz your stall allows you to stay in your power band at all times. Anyway, I hope this has helped a little

Quick Reply: Advantage of 5.3L heads over regular 243's?