Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Oil pump] Anyone try two O-rings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [Oil pump] Anyone try two O-rings?

I'm staring at my O-ring, pickup tube, and oil pump. I don't understand how the O-ring could seal tightly.

The oil pump has a chamfer about 1/8" deep at the entrance, and beyond that a well about 3/16" deep (nearly deep enough for two O-rings). The O-ring is a bit less than 1/8" thick. On the pickup there's a narrow shoulder between the tube and flange, and the tube is about 1/2" long.

The O-ring probably wouldn't stay at the entrance between the oil pump chamfer and the tube shoulder...

If the O-ring sits inside the well, there's too much space, it wouldn't sit tight. The bottom of the well and the shoulder of the tube are much farther apart than an O-ring is thick.

Has anyone tried two O-rings?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Default Re: [Oil pump] Anyone try two O-rings?

Thought about it, never tried it though.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:36 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll look into, im doing my cam install this week and bought a ported ls6 oil pump and a pack of 5 o-rings. well see how it fits with 2 in there :dunno:
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went ahead and put two in there. Looked like plenty of depth (about 5/16"), too much for just one O-ring (about 1/8").

Before bolting the pump on the block, put the tube on the pump, with two O-rings I had about 1/16" of space between flange and pump before bolting the tube in. Then went ahead and bolted the pump to the block.

It looks very solid with two O-rings. I feel better knowing they're compressed into square ring shapes instead of one ring in there pressed into an oval ring.

Since I have spacers due to double-roller chain set, I also sprayed the 'triangle' spacer with copper gasket spray to prevent leakage.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:17 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Well, let us know how it works out once you fire it up. Sounds like an interesting idea....I have spare O-rings laying around just incase.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

I was a auto transmission mechanic in the 70's and have tried a double seals on a few applications without complications...

This should work as long as there is enough room for the two seals....

let us know how it works...

PS - replace the oil pick up tube bolt BEFORE you replace the oil pump bolts that secure the pump to the engine block...this helps so the o-ring does not get pinched...
Old 09-19-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried two O-rings, and my problem hasn't gone away. 10psi at 1500rpm.

I'm puzzled since it looks tight, fills the gap completely, and should insure the pump doesn't suck air.

Configuration: New rebuild, tight bearings, new cam bearings, new LS1 oil pump, new O-ring and old O-ring, double-roller with spacers, copper gasket spray on spacer, eagle H-rods with big end flat sides against neighbor.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

isn't there a tube in the back of the intake that needs to be secured? make sure that is.

I would use 1 new o-ring.

-Steve
Old 09-19-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, that small vacuum tube in the back of the intake is for the Air Cond. system
Old 09-19-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

...is your pump a new replacement or are you working with the old stock pump?

...could be a tired old pump...there are many around...it was a GM design flaw that was fixed in later years...
Old 09-19-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

...is your pump a new replacement or are you working with the old stock pump?

...could be a tired old pump...there are many around...it was a GM design flaw that was fixed in later years...
Old 09-19-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil pump is brand new. I even stuffed it with vasoline during assembly, heavily coated all bearings with ARP assembly lube, and filled the filter with oil.

Another thread asked me about an oil galley plug in the rear under the rear cover...I'm trying to remember that area. I wish I could find a pic of the back of the block.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:43 PM

I have the pic... email me a countryboy@tampabay.rr.com
Old 09-19-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

im having sorta the same problem after a new engine. Everything is great when cold... 70psi when u run it up... but after everything is warm... i get 16-20 at idle and 40 at wot... tried new pump, o rings, re-sealing the spacers for the doulbe roller TC, new sending unit. Even tried a new pully because I had the old ASP machined for the DR TC and i didnt know if too much came off of it. Only thing it can be is the bearing setup. Rear plug was installed flush with the block. Can't thing of anything else it could be.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:45 PM

im having sorta the same problem after a new engine. Everything is great when cold... 70psi when u run it up... but after everything is warm... i get 16-20 at idle and 40 at wot... tried new pump, o rings, re-sealing the spacers for the doulbe roller TC, new sending unit. Even tried a new pully because I had the old ASP machined for the DR TC and i didnt know if too much came off of it. Only thing it can be is the bearing setup. Rear plug was installed flush with the block. Can't thing of anything else it could be.
Ya know... I have the EXACT same problem with my new motor. I installed a mechanical guage to narrow it down. When cold, Ive pegged 100 PSI easily and idle at 60 psi, but when shes all warmed up, it idles ~30 and WOT wont go no higher than 60 so FIIK Ill wait untill something happens and then Ill know the problem.. lol

Email sent with the pic
Old 10-20-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For anyone who cares, the dual O-rings work fine on my motor. Turns out I had forgotten a plug in the back of the block.