Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads & Cam swap in Progress - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads & Cam swap in Progress - Questions

I am switching out my stock heads and MTI T1 Cam with MMS Stage II heads and an MTI T1 Cam. Everything is going well, but the top of my pistons are pretty nasty, any way to clean them while I am at this point?

Here is the progress so far...

http://homepage.mac.com/spagenkopf/PhotoAlbum9.html

This is what is being installed, just follow the links at the top of the page for progress.

Thanks

Scott
Old 09-14-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heads & Cam swap in Progress - Questions

I made a scraper out of hard plastic and hooked it up to a vacuum cleaner hose and went to town on the pistons. After a while the plastic got dull and I ended up using a razor and the vacumm. For the razor (stanley sheet rock blade) to work you have to change it when it gets a little dull or it will scratch the piston. I went slow with the razor then used alcohol and a wash cloth to finish it up. Brake cleaner would work great, but the fumes will make you sick.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:29 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

There's some stuff that GM sells called top end cleaner, which is something that will disolve most of that black carbon, but will also leave some oil in there so you don't leave the cylinders scraping metal to metal with no lubrication (straight brake cleaner may do that). Its around $7 a bottle at the dealership.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I wil try that.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you what worked great for me, and very quick too:

I bought one of those cheap single edged razor blades that come with a flat metal holder. The kind where you push the blade straight out the front with the little button.

Once the piston is at TDC, the piston will actually stick out of the cyl bore slightly. All the carbon deposits on the pistons can be completely removed. Takes only about a minute or two per piston. It will take literally ALL of the crap off the piston.

This also works very well on the block deck surface. It will get rid off all the remaining graphite gasket material. Suck any left over crap out with a shop vac (to include the head bolt holes).

Also, buy one of those little packages of about 5 extra single edged razor blades. You will use more than just the one that comes with the holder, as the blades will get dull.

The head deck surface [MUST] be very clean of any old gasket material or you may get a head gasket leak after the install.

Good Luck,
Ron
Old 09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I did what tin indian did - works well... don;t get any gunk in the piston bore area....

use paper towels and silicone spray to remove any gunk in the hole before you proceed to the next piston...