Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loosing coolant, don't know through where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default loosing coolant, don't know through where?

i recently build a 383 STROKER. TexAS-SPEED build the shortblock but i put the cam,heads,lifters,oilpump, timing chain the whole works. I used cometic mls head gaskets. For some reason on the oil cap there seems to be like water and i removed the valve covers and on the springs and rocker arms the oil looks kinda watery, but not milky. i retorq the head bolts but still loosing water. do you'll think the head gaskets were a rip off and are leaking or could it be something else. Need some help! motor has bout 130 miles on it right now not even broken in.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen head gaskets weep and be very hard to detetect. Only way to tell was with the car on a lift and very very close inspection. Only happened at hi rpms so it made it very difficult to detect.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing wrong with cometic headgaskets, as long as you prepped all of the surfaces correctly the gaskets won't leak. Try to find some coolant dye at a local real auto parts store, not a chain, the kits usually have the dye and a black light so you can see if you are leaking.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I mentioned on the phone, the Cometic head gaskets work VERY well. Every high HP and power-adder engine that leaves here has them installed. That being said, when you installed the heads on the short-block if surfaces weren't clean or the gaskets weren't prepped properly, they could be leaking. We recommend putting two light coats of copper gasket spray on the gaskets prior to installing them. We have never had a problem with getting the gaskets to seal when doing this.

I can assure you the gaskets are in no way a rip off. Any experienced engine builder will confirm this. Cometic is one of the best gasket manufacturers in the industry!

Feel free go shoot me a PM or give me a call with any questions and will get you fixed up asap!

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Perf.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TSP short block here with cometic gaskets and arp head studs... Hasent lost a drop of coolant. I have even had the heads off the car and reused the cometic's with out any promlems. 10#'s of boost to boot. Well worth the $$$ IMHO.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Like I mentioned on the phone, the Cometic head gaskets work VERY well. Every high HP and power-adder engine that leaves here has them installed. That being said, when you installed the heads on the short-block if surfaces weren't clean or the gaskets weren't prepped properly, they could be leaking. We recommend putting two light coats of copper gasket spray on the gaskets prior to installing them. We have never had a problem with getting the gaskets to seal when doing this.

I can assure you the gaskets are in no way a rip off. Any experienced engine builder will confirm this. Cometic is one of the best gasket manufacturers in the industry!

Feel free go shoot me a PM or give me a call with any questions and will get you fixed up asap!

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Perf.

I agree with Jon if prepped correctly there shouldn't be an issue.

What happens sometimes is that people scratch the sealant on the cometic and don't realize it. Its coated with a black sealant that is activated by heat.
If you scratch it you compromise it and this is the reason for most of the leakage with cometics ( this is what cometic said). I've never had an issue with the Cometics myself.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have any AF in the radiator and even THINK it is mixing with the oil I would change the oil and run straight water in the radiator til your HG problem is worked out. AF will eat your bearings in short order if it is mixed with the oil. H2o in the oil oviously isn't good but not nearly as bad as AF+ oil til you get it figured out.