Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size cam should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size cam should i go with?

Ive been looking at cams for quite some time now and can't decide on one. The car is my daily driver and gets a mix of highway and city driving. Id really like to not lose very much mpg, as this is my only vehicle. Its a 99 t/a ls1 A4 car. The car has LPP Longtubes and ORY, AIR, EGF, and rear 02 sensors deleted. Speed inc Mail in tune. SLP loudmouth with Spiral flow in place of SLP resonator, Has msd wires and ngk tr55s, Still has factory ls1 intake but when i do the swap im going to probably go with a ls6 intake. Car has slp flowpack cold air intake also. It still has factory 3.23s but planning on going to 3.42s or 3.73s in the rear. It is still a stock converter, But a im thinking about yank 3600 or possibly 4000. The cam I have kinda been leaning towards is the TR224, possibly TR228, or if there is any other cam you would recommend just let me know! Also i still have stock ls1 heads, but down the road that might change also. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

My advice, after doing the LS6 intake, is to pick your stall first. You do NOT want to cam an auto LS1 with the stock stall. Decide what your driving habits are and pick a stall around that. The new converter is gonna take some getting used to. Once you draw up a decent bolt-on/stall combo, then pick your cam size based on your pre-built package. The reason I say pick your stall first is...there are a lot of auto guys that do bolt on and stall and are completely happy with the combo on stock internals. A stalled LS1 is no bitch...the stock motor really shows its potential when you can keep it in its "sweet spot" rpm range at all times. So choose your stall based on your driving habits and what exactly you plan to do with the car. Once you get used to the stall, pick a cam accordingly.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Alright thanks for the advice. As far as converters...is there a certain one you recomend? being a daily driver n all. I mentioned the yank 3600 and 4000 earlier, you think those are good choices?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Yank is always a good choice. BUT this Friday i will be ordering an FTI Converter. They are great to deal with and the lock up converter comes with a free 3 year warranty and 3free stall changes under warranty. Not to mention free S&H, free t-shirt, and are priced at $675 through the month of October. Give them a call. 866-726-8358 ask for Bud.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also don't forget to grab a trans cooler to insure the life and safety of your trans. Should only run you around $55
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My "little" Comp Cam 216/220 hit my gas mileage quite a bit; even with my "small" converter and yes; it has been tuned. For a DD, you have to decide what you want. IF you want good driveability, gas mileage, etc then a Comp 212/218 LS6 Street Replacement Cam is the way I would go......If I could start over. Converter?........The Vig 2800 with a STR of 2.0 got stock block LS1'S into the 11's almost 10 years ago.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are good tight sreet/strip convertors and would work well for you. Definitely do the convertor first or at the same time as cam install. If you are for sure gonna stall go at least 228. You can clear bigger if you want I have heard you can "get by OK" on a 224 w/ stock vertor but never been in one.

Don't forget a combo is only as good as the tune so make sure you get the best tuner you can
Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jwill_20
Alright thanks for the advice. As far as converters...is there a certain one you recomend? being a daily driver n all. I mentioned the yank 3600 and 4000 earlier, you think those are good choices?
The Yank SS converters drive tighter than most companies. When you go with a bigger converter, you will notice a "loose" feeling when accelerating that feels somewhat like a clutch slipping in a manual transmission car. If you drive a Yank SS 3600 and 3600 by another company, the Yank will not feel as loose. This is a good thing...a tight driving converter is more street friendly and you wont feel like youre having to spin the motor to red-line to get the car moving. There is also STR (stall to torque ratio) to consider when choosing a converter. Its more than I can explain in a couple paragraphs. Do some research on this before you make a decision. From my own personal experience, I ran a Yank SS 3600 on a daily driver and I loved it. It stayed pretty tight around town. As stated already, a good tune is a must when going with a bigger stall. Do what I did and spend a good month or two on here researching all the details of a torque converter, adn once you learn how everything works together, you will be in a better position to accurately choose the perfect stall for your application. Good luck buddy