Sponsored by:

top end for dummies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end for dummies?

hey all,

I'm trying to plan out my winter project... and not really getting the info I need from searches, hoping someone here could help.

I have a 00 M6 TransAm with 4:10s, SLP Lid, LS6 intake, PP stock Throttle Body, 180* thermo, pacesetter LTs, and I'm currently untuned. Its my weekend car and I am just trying to build a fun car out of it; not a track car. No plans for N20 or FI... and not interested in bigger heads for now.

I have plans for installing a cam this winter (not sure which one yet)... but can anyone explain the benefits of the following mods? And whether they are definitely needed for my build.

1. Pushrods (why go longer or shorter)
2. Double Roller Timing chain
3. rockers
4. lifters
5. springs/retainers

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the sticky first about cam, this is a good start.

After, check this out;http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23 .This site is the bible for any DIY. I did my heads swap with it and everything is well explained with big pics. And, you have all the parts and information you need to do the job.

And when youre ready to chose a cam, give any sponsor here a call. They'll be more than happy to answer your Qs and sell you a nice cam!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need shorter pushrods if you mill your heads. You may need longer pushrods if you choose a cam with a smaller base circle than stock. If you are unclear about any of this you could help yourself a lot by picking up a copy of Will Handzel's book "Chevy LS1/LS6 V8s". You can usually find it at one of the big chain bookstores like Barnes & Noble. The LS2 timing chain is a big improvement over the LS1 timing chain and has made the double roller unnecessary. Likewise, the stock rockers and lifters are very good and perform well with typical street/strip cams.