Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the biggest strettable cam and lots of other questions please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the biggest strettable cam and lots of other questions please help.

Whats the biggest cam you can run on the street and still be streetable as far as a/c and idleing and what not and not having a huge huge stall. Also when ya'll build ya'lls motors what pistons do ya'll run i dn't wanna have to go above super pump gas. When ya'll change the cam do ya'll use stock lifters again or change them also and what about the timing chain and oil pump. What some good setups for a good driver that makes good street power that can handle some spray at the track but still want the comfort of a/c and being able to drive it alot and idle for days if it needs to. Please help everyone seems to be afraid to talk about this. Aw yeah it a 00 s10 and i'm putting a 05 5.3 in it i have a ls1 intake but from what i read i'm better off staying with the truck intake is this true??? Just looking for bang for the buck. Whats seom other this besides the cam that i can do to make hp. i dn't wanna change the heads out just yet so i'm building around them. Guna put springs and pushrods and a good cam and tune and got headers of course nice stall and what not.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by STROKETHIS1
Whats the biggest cam you can run on the street and still be streetable as far as a/c and idleing and what not and not having a huge huge stall. Also when ya'll build ya'lls motors what pistons do ya'll run i dn't wanna have to go above super pump gas. When ya'll change the cam do ya'll use stock lifters again or change them also and what about the timing chain and oil pump. What some good setups for a good driver that makes good street power that can handle some spray at the track but still want the comfort of a/c and being able to drive it alot and idle for days if it needs to. Please help everyone seems to be afraid to talk about this. Aw yeah it a 00 s10 and i'm putting a 05 5.3 in it i have a ls1 intake but from what i read i'm better off staying with the truck intake is this true??? Just looking for bang for the buck. Whats seom other this besides the cam that i can do to make hp. i dn't wanna change the heads out just yet so i'm building around them. Guna put springs and pushrods and a good cam and tune and got headers of course nice stall and what not.
everyone has there own version of streetable.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

hear we go okay here what i want to do with the turck. Its a 05 5.3 i don't wnat to change the heads or pistons. I wanna know whats some good cams for a street motor that will see some track time and 150 shot of nos from time to time. basically a cam and supporting mods is all i want to do to the insed of the motor then i wil have some boltons.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

First tell me what size stall you want to run, or already have.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

I would recommend a 224/228 - 228/228 mid sized cam. You'll only have to change the valvesprings. 112-114 LSA is decent or just call a local sponsor on the site and have them custom grind one for you to fit your application.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

streetable is in the tune, this question gets asked ALL THE TIME. a good tuner can make the MS4 drive close to stock, while an idiot cant get the tr224 to run right. we have a search button for that...

you will HAVE to change valve springs with any camswap. they are barely good enough for stock, that and pushrods would probably be a bare minimum

if you are an auto, theres really no such thing as a "driveable" "big" cam on a "stock stall". you can pick two of three of those adjectives, but not all three. if you stay on stock stall, you will roll through your brakes at idle
Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
streetable is in the tune, this question gets asked ALL THE TIME. a good tuner can make the MS4 drive close to stock, while an idiot cant get the tr224 to run right. we have a search button for that...

LMAO!! You can't fight physics. I was at a customers house yesterday checking out his new 408 I sold him. He has an Ms4 in it. Tuned to perfection on a mustang dyno by one of the best. Car runs like a dream.

It has very little power before 3000 rpms but then comes to life and kicks ***. All cams have a power range. You shave and bump compression and try to fight it with the bigger ones but in the end you can't get it to act like a smaller cam in the low and mid range rpm levels.

You make the right choice for yourself based on your driving habits and use intended use for the car.

408 guy loves his new combo, others dont like not having power at 2000 rpms to pass a car with a gentle push of the gas peddle.

Its just indivual prefferences, no one is right or wrong.

In a truck I dont think you want an MS4, unless it's a highway roller and low range tq and hp aren't a big deal.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-24-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ

you will HAVE to change valve springs with any camswap. they are barely good enough for stock, that and pushrods would probably be a bare minimum

if you are an auto, theres really no such thing as a "driveable" "big" cam on a "stock stall". you can pick two of three of those adjectives, but not all three. if you stay on stock stall, you will roll through your brakes at idle
Couldn't say it any better than that!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

224/230 on 114 lsa would be nice IMO.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Streetable has less to do with duration and more to do with LSA.
In the old days, like the 90's *gasp* people ran 114*LSA on FI motors and 112 was pushing it for daily drivers.
Today everyone thinks you're a sissy if you run anything bigger then 111*
I would REALLY REALLY love to see some dyno sheets with nothing more then the LSA changed from 111 to 114, but none of the vendors have stepped up and shown one.
People are all ready to give up vacum, idle and suffer with surging all because they think the rumpty rump of a 111* cam is cool.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TR 227/224 change the springs/rods and tune...tune...tune. When I had mine installed years ago in the 2000 SS. I had a few idling issues but after learning a little about tuning and going at it until I got it ironed out. The only difference from the stock cam was the power especially 2 and 3rd gear. I wanted to try the 230/224 but got rid of the car and now im doing a 408 stroker in the vette.

Did I mention tune?

Get that down and youll be as streetable as you are now. Honestly I had NO ZERO issues after the tune was straight. Well one issue... I couldnt stop modding. When I finally felt a difference in the power it fed something inside that cost me a LOT of money and time... but I would do it again and I am doing it again right now as a matter of fact.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw it's an s10 pickup not a full size..LOL the lighter the vehicle the bigger the cam can be... the MS4 might not be bad in this case.. you dont need a whole lot of bottom end with an S10 and your mot likely not towing either... but if you are towing something you want more hp and tq down low.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
Streetable has less to do with duration and more to do with LSA.
In the old days, like the 90's *gasp* people ran 114*LSA on FI motors and 112 was pushing it for daily drivers.
Today everyone thinks you're a sissy if you run anything bigger then 111*
I would REALLY REALLY love to see some dyno sheets with nothing more then the LSA changed from 111 to 114, but none of the vendors have stepped up and shown one.
People are all ready to give up vacum, idle and suffer with surging all because they think the rumpty rump of a 111* cam is cool.
Sorry to lol

I would like to see some 111/114 comparisons too. Mainly just to see how far up 114 moves the powerband.

Sound/lope was a non issue in deciding on my cam. I went 111*+2 cause I wanted bottom ASAP and didn't want to have to spin 6500+ to get peak on my crappy 98 rod bolts. I don't feel like I lost anything except she is a little bitchy at startup on cold days
Old 10-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Teching In

yeah i guna get a stall not sure on that kinda of building everything around the cam. Im guessing i'm guna mill my heads down some to get the compression up on the motor so maybe i can squezze a little bit bigger cam in there without bleeding off too much compression. I just want a good all around cam. I want it to make good power threw the rpms. It snot really a race truck so i dn't think it will see too many if any 7k+ passes. I'm guna in the future throw a 150 shot at it just for laughs but other then that i want a good 5.3 running stock bottomend maybe some rod bolts stock heads might clean them up some and mill them and just a good valvetrian setup ie cam springs pushrods timing chain. and rock and roll. I think i'm guna run the truck intake seems like it does better were it counts on the street for me. I have a ls1 and a ls6 intake also what should i run and what kind of stall am i looking at. I dn't want anything to crazy. As i plan to drive it alot its a show truck bagged on 22s with a/c.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Also been looking at a 225/229 .581 .591 114lsa patriot cam package sound good???
Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Since no one else has said it yet: LSA is a RESULT, not a choice. The fundamental you have to look at is overlap. At 0.050" valve opening, a negative overlap, like -3 degrees to -5 degrees will be real easy to idle and run at low RPM. A meaningful positive overlap, where the exhaust valve is at 0.050" and closing +3 to +5 degrees after the intake valve is at 0.050" and opening will run rough at idle, lack torque down low, but will "get on the cam" somewhere above 3000 rpm. Let your valve events be your guide, and the LSA will follow.