Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Question

Im Looking For A Cam With Small Enough Duration To Maintain Engine Vac For Brake Assist. Stiill Enough Power To Be Worth The Cash And Labor. Any Suggestions?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you running a carb? Some more specifics on your combo would help.

But, even a 240 duration cam (upto 25 degrees of overlap at .050") provides enough vacuum as most of the LSx lobes are way more agressive than SBC lobes. This is due to the larger 55mm cam journal in the LS-series engines can accept a far more agressive lobe.

For a first time cam, I suggest something in the 224-duration range. If you can stomach a little bit more, I really like the 230-232 duration type cams as they provide a lot of power everywhere in the band without being so big as it's difficult to drive. You'll need to get tuned with any cam (if running EFI), but just about anything the sponsors sell for stock CID applications will work fine for you, depending on your tolerance for surging in the lower RPMs and your tuners ability to smooth some of that out.

I suggest looking at the vendors such as TSP, Thunder Racing, Futral, Vengeance, LGM, Speed Inc, or HPE to get your started. Also search the forum as their are thousands of threads on just about any cam you can find.

A good sized cam (upper 230+s) can get you 70+rwhp in an LS1 with the supporting mods (hardened pushrods, upgraded springs, headers, intake, etc). Even a smaller cam, like the 224 can do 35-45rwhp pretty easily with the supporting mods. Therefore, they are definitely worth it.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 233 has no problems with the brakes...plenty of vacumn
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has less to do with duration and more to do with LSA.
In the old days, like the 90's *gasp* people ran 114*LSA on FI motors and 112 was pushing it for daily drivers.
Today everyone thinks you're a sissy if you run anything bigger then 111*
I would REALLY REALLY love to see some dyno sheets with nothing more then the LSA changed from 111 to 114.
People are all ready to give up vacum, idle and suffer with surging all because they think the rumpty rump of a 111* cam is cool.