Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine restore does it work????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine restore does it work????

just kinda wondering if anyone has ever used Restore oil adative before and was there any improvement??
Old 09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: engine restore does it work????

Snake Oil...complete garbage...sure I used it in my younger days unfortunately (in a different car).
Old 09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

It worked on my old ford pickup, but I had to use it like every oil change. I dont know if I would use it on anything I value. Ask Patman.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you think that pouring this stuff in your oil is going to replace worn away metal? Cause that in essence is what it says it will do. Can't happen
Old 09-15-2003, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Its not a fix, but it does help. It works just long enough for you to sell it
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

...you can acheive the same results by adding a quart of gear oil to your crankcase; not recommended, however...
Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from Restore, it does not work. If you want a product that does work, go with Auto-rx. It's a cleaning product which uses natural esters, that slowly cleans an engine so that if it's super dirty this product will not dislodge big chunks of debris all at once, which could clog things up. Auto-rx liquifies the sludge slowly and carries it off to the oil filter.

I know you're thinking it sounds like snake oil too, but trust me, it's not. I've used this product on my car and have gotten amazing results. I did before and after oil analysis results, and could see considerably lower engine wear, and much lower oxidation and nitration on the after results. Plus I was consuming one quart every 5-6k and this product slowed consumption down to about one quart every 8k.

By super cleaning the engine, it restores the compression in the engine and allows the oil to properly do it's job without having to fight against the dirt inside there.

Most of you probably don't have dirty enough engines to really need this product, but if you've got an old beater car with 100k on it or more, it's a good candidate. Or if you've bought your f-body used and the previous owner neglected the oil changes and/or used an inferior oil, like the previous owner of my car did, then this product is worth the $25.

Also keep in mind, no product can fix a badly worn engine, but in some cases an engine which may seem to be on it's last legs, is simply so dirty inside that it needs to be cleaned out. (if it's super super dirty, two treatments with this product are needed)
Old 09-16-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Stay away from Restore, it does not work. If you want a product that does work, go with Auto-rx. It's a cleaning product which uses natural esters, that slowly cleans an engine so that if it's super dirty this product will not dislodge big chunks of debris all at once, which could clog things up. Auto-rx liquifies the sludge slowly and carries it off to the oil filter.

I know you're thinking it sounds like snake oil too, but trust me, it's not. I've used this product on my car and have gotten amazing results. I did before and after oil analysis results, and could see considerably lower engine wear, and much lower oxidation and nitration on the after results. Plus I was consuming one quart every 5-6k and this product slowed consumption down to about one quart every 8k.

By super cleaning the engine, it restores the compression in the engine and allows the oil to properly do it's job without having to fight against the dirt inside there.

Most of you probably don't have dirty enough engines to really need this product, but if you've got an old beater car with 100k on it or more, it's a good candidate. Or if you've bought your f-body used and the previous owner neglected the oil changes and/or used an inferior oil, like the previous owner of my car did, then this product is worth the $25.

Also keep in mind, no product can fix a badly worn engine, but in some cases an engine which may seem to be on it's last legs, is simply so dirty inside that it needs to be cleaned out. (if it's super super dirty, two treatments with this product are needed)
If you were using that would you increase oil changes?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,098 Likes on 721 Posts

What do you think of GM engine cleaner Patman?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Years ago my buddy bought a 79 TA with an olds 403 (6.6) The car was a dog, it could not get out of its own way...

He used Restore, and it was like night and day! The car came alive!

Maybe it is good for old, dirty, million mile engines!

Tommy
Old 09-16-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

What do you think of GM engine cleaner Patman?
I really haven't heard anything about this stuff, although it's most likely a solvent based engine flush like 99% of the stuff on the market, therefore it's not really all that safe to use.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you were using that would you increase oil changes?
When you use this product, you run it for approximately a 1000 to 1500 mile interval, you can add it to your existing oil if you wish, but you need to put on a new oil filter first to make sure you've got lots of room to catch stuff.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Pro Stock:
GM engine cleaner - is this the Seafoam top cleaner stuff that you squirt in the intake?

Quick Reply: engine restore does it work????