Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think She's Toast...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Think She's Toast...

So today (after just breakin in my clutch i might add) i was driving my car to my buddies shop to swap injectors out and change plugs cuz my car had been runnin like crap here lately wouldnt idle good at all, would die coming to a stop or slowing down.. would pull pretty decent up to about 4000rpm and then it would sound like it was hitting rev limiter.. and hardly pull after about 5000rpm.. so i get there, and it was starting to make a ticking noise a lil from under the hood, i shut it down, change plugs and injectors, plugs looked like death so i thought that was the problem. start it and it sounds like a bad pushrod bend or something, so i tear the valve covers off, look at them, think it may be the rocker arms that i recently put back on, ive had trouble with these rockers before, actually had a pair break, so i thought that would be the problem maybe, swap the factory ones back on and get it back together and start it, sounds like damnit again, so i let it idle a lil and the ticking starts to go away. so im thinkin heck yea its quittin.. then it grad starts to come back and fade away.. i check the oil and its gettin pretty damn low but im still holding good pressure, so i add oil to it, and let it idle the noise is still there but not real noticeable. sounded like every other ls1 with a cam, look at the gauge its holding about 40psi on idle but fluctuating a lil.. so then i go out for a test drive and get on it after about 2-3 mins, and hit 1-2-3 and let off it automatically dies, turn it over and start it back up my oil pressure went to 20psi, let off the gas immediatly dies, start it again to make sure it wasnt flooding, dies immediatly again.. so i coast back to my buddies house.. sit in the yard and start it, and this loud deep clinking noise coming from my motor and its holding 20psi oil pressure, there has been metal shavings in my oil recently, and its been having some blow by and eating but it still ran as good as it did before until now. and i kinda figured that it would go soon but i didnt think this soon. what do you guys think?? think she's dead or what?? thinkin about puttin a 6.0 short block and my heads and cam and bolt ons and everything in my sig.. how would a 6.0 run with those mods?? any idea on CR? or HP numbers?? kinda a bummer i just got this car goin this week after being down for a few months on tranny problems, and i get a good trans and then this happens.. oh well i know the tranny wont break now lol.. i think maybe i had an injector leak down and maybe thin the oil or something, wash a bearing. not real sure yet cuz i just stopped messing with it after that happend.. any input would be helpful and appreciated!!!! thanks!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Launching!

no one has any input? lemme know what you think!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you're gonna need to tear her down if you have seen metal during oil changes. Could have been many things, but once your inside you should have a better idea of the damage.

A 6L buildup would be a good affordable way towards a rebuild.

BTW, it helps to space your post into paragraphs, it was really hard to read!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Launching!

lol my bad.. yeah im gonna tear it down, i found a 6.0 shortblock with a couple bad rod bearings in it for 275$ im prolly gonna get.. more than likely put some forged rods and pistons in it and get it bored out a lil so everything will be fresh.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Did you check compression and do a leakdown test? When was the last time the car has been tuned?

LS1 eat oil with RPM, I would just get a catch can to stop oil going into the intake.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Launching!

nah havent done a compression or leak down cuz the bottom end is knocking, the car is still on a factory tune, but ran good with the tune, i was gonna get it tuned within the next few days but this happend. i know it was runnin real rich and wondering if it leaked down and washed a bearing out or something. oh well time to build a 370 lol..
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

how long were you on the factory tune with the heads and cam?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with washing out oil with fuel. Mine spun a rod bearing and stacked 2, but my car wouldn't hardly run after it did that. It also was making a horrible knocking noise. If you got metal in the oil then you might as well tear it apart bc thats something that is not supposed to be there.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Im not sure on the miles of how long it was on a factory tune.. Thats probly what killed it.. bjamick sounds like thats maybe what mine did, it wont hardly run now you have to make an effort to keep it runnin, its ran a total of about 1 min since it happend.. I dont wanna tear it up even more, i may use that crank in the 6.0 when i build it. If its in better shape. and as soon as i get it together its goin to HP House in Bowling Green to get tuned, no more runnin on factory tunes.. I never had a problem out of it on the factory tune i think thats why i kept it like that for so long..