Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you break in certain stuff??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you break in certain stuff??

I just put a few new items on my ls1. Torque 2 cam, patriot heads, spec 2 clutch, FAST intake, Holley 90mm TB, etc.

My question is, for how many miles and what style of driving should I use when breaking stuff in?

I've heard and read that you can get on it right away. Also, that a proper 500 miles (1500 on the Spec according to them) before getting on it. I'm lost really. I want to race it already...LOL.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

if you want to break it in fast just put shitty oil in it and drive it around all day. then drain it, drop some royal in there and have fun : P.

my .02
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat cycles are the most important thing let it get good and hot then cool all the way down do this several times. Also what "zachness" said put 50-100 miles on it and change the oil/filter. When I've done cam swaps ect... I leave the oil and filter the car had befor I started the project and fire the engine, let it get hot then change the old oil/filter before I back it out of the shop. Then change it soon after its first drive.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

yea don't forget the oil filter lol!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The clutch is the only thing that really needs a break in period.

Your not supposed to go WOT until its the clutch properly seat against the flywheel and pressure plate. Proper seating meaning that the surfaces are all touching flat against one another. So everything is smooth and even. Which happens by the gradual wear from driving it around. If not seated properly you could potentially not be using all of the clutch surface therefore making the clutch more prone uneven wear and slipping, thus casuing extreme heat which could glaze the clutch and hurting it holding capability immensely.

The more shifting you do the faster that happens. So driving 500 on the interstate isn't as good of a break in as driving through town for about 30 minutes. And it could be that the surfaces are near perfect from the get go. So it wouldn't need as much break in, but no way to really know that. Best bet is to put 500 miles on it of good driving. Go out and drive some curvy or mountain roads that require up and down shifting. If you must drive the highway, push the clutch in and ride it back out every couple of minutes.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that needs breaking in is the clutch. Follow Specs instructions and once it stops chattering it is broken in and redline that bitch
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I drive most of the time in town, some 20 miles of highway use daily too.

I'll just break it in properly then. Thanks for the solid advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put 280 miles on my Centerforce DFX before dropping the hammer and I have sprayed it also and never had a problem. My cam and valve spring swap, I dropped the hammer as soon as it came out of the shop.