Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is good with Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who is good with Starter Problems

I have finished up my build and we tried to start it last night but the starter just clicked really loud when we turned the key. It had 130K on the clock so I just decided to spring for a new one. The old starter would throw out the bendix, but the bendix wouldn't spin at all, just click very loud.

The old one did spin when it was hooked up to the machine at Advanced Auto that checks the starters. It wasn't pulling any amps though, just 1 where it should be 14-15.

Got back to the shop with the new starter and it did the exact same thing. Bendix came out, but wouldn't spin at all, just click really loud. We unbolted the starter and turned the motor by hand very freely, then turned the key with the wires still hooked up to the starter and had the same result, still no spinning, just the throwout.

I swapped batteries and the fully charged battery did not have any affect on the problem. I am totally lost on what to do here. Has anyone else had this type of problem or anything related to this? Any advice greatly appriciated. TIA
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried touching the starter to the block when you start it. Have a buddy hold it while you start it. Might have a ground problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. It was a wire not being connected to the block that needed to be. It runs fine now. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you check all the fuses , and relays? I just did a starter in my mountaineer , and it was a combination of the starter being bad and blown fuses.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just posted above that it was the ground. I attached the large ground wire to the starter instead of the block. There is 3 prongs on the starter. 2 large and one small. There is 3 wires that run to the starter also. 2 large and one small. Its very misleading on where to hook them up.

The old "jack up your buddies car and look at his" method worked out great this time. LOL