Sponsored by:

Custom Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Pistons?

Hey,
I am building an LQ9, 4.030" X 4.100", 418cid. In order for me to get my SCR to a manageable ratio, I'll need approximately "-10cc DISH Pistons". Do I need to get custom pistons for this, or are there any sponsors/vendors that have what I'm looking for. Trying to get the SCR around 11.4:1 or slightly lower. The 59cc heads are upping compression way to much for flat top Pistons (-2cc).

Any information will help!
Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone? Just trying to figure out if any sponsors sell custom pistons and if so, how much more expensive is it to go custom?

I need to figure out if I want to have my heads machined out some, or go custom piston.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiseco has a 4.030" piston with 1.050" compression distance. The down side is that it puts your pistons in the hole .015" on a standard 9.24" deck height block when using a 6.125" rod. You could deck the block some and get it closer to zero deck if you want to. Let me know if I can help with these pistons.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

"Wiseco has a 4.030" piston with 1.050" compression distance"

Thanks for the reply. Not exactly sure what this means, sorry.

What would you recomend? I'm trying to get my SCR down to 11.4:1, or somewhere in that area.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The 58cc chambers with that piston, 4.10" crank, and 6.125" rods and a .040" gasket will net you 11.38:1 SCR. The quench is going to be terrible though unless you mill the block down to get those pistons closer to zero deck. Do you HAVE to run a 4.030" bore, or will the block you're using allow a 4.005" or 4.01"? That opens up a few more possibilities!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

I don't have to run a 4.030" bore. I have an LQ9 on the way. Largest+safest bore was 30 over, so that is why I chose it. I could always do a 4.000 stroke and not run into these issues, as there are more "off the shelf" choices for the 4.030" X 4.000" combination.

However, I am trying to do a 4.030" X 4.100" for a little more torque since this will be mostly driven on the street. I am really looking for a piston with a -10cc dish that will fit my application. This will get me where I need to be.

Are custom pistons that much more expensive than an "off the shelf" piston?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are not set on which bore to run yet you might take a look at our proprietary line of pistons through Diamond Racing. We have a piston set available that is a 4.010" Bore 4.000" stroke with a -10cc dish (Part #805TS).
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Also, the 4.010" bore piston JohnJ mentioned will allow you extra room for a re-build down the road if/when it's needed! You won't ever miss those 4 extra cubic inches!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Thanks guys. I might not miss the extra 4 cubes, but I will miss the 14 cubes from where I started. I appreciate you trying to sell me parts you have in stock, but I was asking about custom rotating assemblies and whether or not it would be that much more expensive to have one made.

There are plenty of "off the shelf" combinations that will work if I choose to go smaller than the 418cid I'm planning for. I am pretty set on my dimensions.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost efficient to have my heads touched up and have the combustion chamber opened up, or if I can get a set of custom pistons/rotating assembly.

Anyone?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have the 813TS that is for the 4.10" stroke with 4.010" bore too. "Shelf" pistons are always a good bit less expensive than a full custom set!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dankl
^^^Thanks guys. I might not miss the extra 4 cubes, but I will miss the 14 cubes from where I started. I appreciate you trying to sell me parts you have in stock, but I was asking about custom rotating assemblies and whether or not it would be that much more expensive to have one made.

There are plenty of "off the shelf" combinations that will work if I choose to go smaller than the 418cid I'm planning for. I am pretty set on my dimensions.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost efficient to have my heads touched up and have the combustion chamber opened up, or if I can get a set of custom pistons/rotating assembly.

Anyone?

My mistake, I was under the impression you were not set on the dimensions yet. Doing a custom build will definately cost a little bit more, typically we have a $350.00 upgrade charge to get a custom piston set. This price does fluctuate a little bit depending on what exactly we do to the pistons. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't check it because of this damn computer I'm on at work doesn't have a PDF reading application, but check out the wiseco catalog:

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Automobile.aspx

Quick Reply: Custom Pistons?