Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine wont start

I built my engine about 1 month ago and installed it with a powerglide swap on my 2000 z28, cam and crank are dot-dot. I just finished and tried to fire her up but she wont, I still havent got a m6 tune but I already did the starter and hatch release mod. It cranks but it wont start, I'd like to get some advice from you people on what the problem may be, especially from those who had done a th350/400 or powerglide swap. I will check some other things tomorrow, meanwhile I hope you can help me out, thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

If it is cranking it's most likely not an issue with the tranny swap. You need to check that the grounds are attached to the back of the drivers side head(3 of them), make sure the crank sensor is plugged in(behind the starter on the side of the block), and make sure you have fuel pressure. If all that checks out okay, start looking for blown fuses and bad relays.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be VATS or a bad relay... mine has been going through them lately
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, check those grounds on the back side of the driver's side cylinder head. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can look at while cranking to ensure pressure at the rail? Maybe one of those inexpensive spark testers they have for sale at Autozone too? Let's figure out if you're missing fuel or spark or both and that'll make it easier to narrow down the issue!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

I checked all the grounds but the ones on the back of the heads, I forgot to check them last week but I'm pretty sure they're ok since I did all the swap, I'll check them tomorrow and I'll also check fuel pressure and spark, a friend of mine is coming with the right set of tools to check those. I'll let ya know what happened, thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a $10 ignition relay. Change that and the battery and no more problems.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noah89
Mine was a $10 ignition relay. Change that and the battery and no more problems.
yeah been there,and I do keep spares with me
Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Need more info on the setup. Ls1 based? ls2 based?

off the top of my head, if the TPS is not plugged in or wacky the car wont start.

check the grounds 90459350 times. both on the heads, one under the starter, one on the pass fender, one on driver side block.

check fuel pressure

make sure coils are right, that you didnt flip the harness around.

make sure you have the right fuel injector plug on each injector and you didnt swap a couple.

check for the infamous VATS flashing security light

if it's an ls2 swap, make sure you switched the wires on the cam sensor harness.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Hey wassup, I checked everything today

Tested spark ok, fuel rails are full of gas, I took off all the IGN, PCM and Fuel relays and they look ok, all the grounds are connected, all the injectors are connected in order, the coils are connected the way they are supposed to be, car keeps cranking but no fire.

I stripped the car about 11 months ago and left gas inside the tank, I know it might sound stupid but I tried to start it with the same gas so I would like to think its either the gas which had lost some of its properties or the injectors are not delivering any gas. I removed the gas tank and emptied it but gas didn't look bad, anyways I'll take my injectors and fuel pump to check and put new gas inside.

BTW as a note: I haven't done the M6 reflash to the PCM, hope you have any suggestions or ideas on what to do next

THANKS

Last edited by MLP00Z28; 11-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.