Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 running rich

Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 running rich

Hi i have a LS1 in a GD cobra kit car in the UK, im having some issues with one bank running very rich, and a high tickover, if i unplug the TPS the revs drop and it idles fine but still runs rich ( i think), i first had a bank 1 sensor one code so i changed the sensor, then changed all the plugs as they were fouled up. on tick over with the TPS plugged in the Ignition advance on cylinder 1 is 41* ( which i guess raises the revs) with it unplugged it drops to 18* or so , both 02 sensors seem to be working ok, anyideas? getting stuck a little thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm im having the same problem above 25% throttle but with a carburetor on a single plane intake and i'm stumped. Mechanically i can find nothing wrong all cylinders are withing 2psi of compression of each other too. I have a brand new dual wideband setup for monitoring too.

How rich are they running? Like say one bank is 12:1 and the other is 13:1?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

not sure yet, i took the car for SVA (a test to register the car on the roads) and it failed emmisons dumping unburnt fuel down bank 2, the car felt fine on WOT but on part throttle it seems to hesitate, so i chaned the 02 sensor hoping that would solve the problem. but when i rev it it still puffs out a little black smoke.. maybe this is carbon in the exhaust ? maybe i should do a compression test... anyideas? thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Revving it usually always produces black smoke. I'm going to pull my rockers and check for a collapsed lifter although i have no abnormal sounds and im pulling my plugs to see what they look like. Mines a perfect 13.4/.13.4 at idle but cruising is like 13.2/12.6 and its making me crazy.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ricky_GD
Hi i have a LS1 in a GD cobra kit car in the UK, im having some issues with one bank running very rich, and a high tickover, if i unplug the TPS the revs drop and it idles fine but still runs rich ( i think), i first had a bank 1 sensor one code so i changed the sensor, then changed all the plugs as they were fouled up. on tick over with the TPS plugged in the Ignition advance on cylinder 1 is 41* ( which i guess raises the revs) with it unplugged it drops to 18* or so , both 02 sensors seem to be working ok, anyideas? getting stuck a little thanks
Has the car run good in the past or is this a fresh project? The reason I ask, is we had the same problem with a street rod with a LS1. I turned out that we had the wires for the O2 sensors swapped side to side. After we reversed them everything straightened out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 running rich