Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here: Explain where the "lifters" are and how they work

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie here: Explain where the "lifters" are and how they work

I am just now starting to learn about internal engine stuff. I have the basic understanding the the cam pushes the pushrods and then compresses the springs and opens the valves. Where do the lifters come into play on this? What do they actually do and where are they located at? Can anyone provide a picture and possibly explain why a lifter may "collapse"? Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google.....
Old 11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

cam pushes lifters lifters push push rods push rods push rocker arms rocker arms push down on valve and open it. if you really want to learn about engines consider getting a text book. if you are intrested i have my automotive engines theory and servicing 5th edition ill sell you for $55 shipped. It was my automotive engines text book from my spring semester, it covers everything about engines.....
Old 11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lifter's are the basically the shock absorbers of the valve train. they sit inbetween the cam and pushrods. They help to absorb the shock and to prevent seperation of parts in the valvetrain. Here's a decent explanation at the valvetrain. Only problem is they forgot the lifters. Look at the Pushrod section.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft1.htm
Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Benner
Lifter's are the basically the shock absorbers of the valve train. they sit inbetween the cam and pushrods. They help to absorb the shock and to prevent seperation of parts in the valvetrain.
what the hell are u smoking? and wow u showed him an example that doesnt show a lifter at all....please keep bad advice to youself

Last edited by 89IROC; 11-01-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Lifters follow the contour of the camshaft lobe, this changes the cams rotating motion into a reciprocating motion in the valvetrain, also hydraulic lifters take up the slack in the valve train or "lash"
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone please xplain what it means when the lifter is collapsed? Any pictures. I understand how they work now. thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

if a lifter is collapsed that means that the lil plunger inside that pumps up with oil to take the lash out of the system is no longer pumping up meaning u have excess lash so u need to replace it.....
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Benner
Lifter's are the basically the shock absorbers of the valve train. they sit inbetween the cam and pushrods. They help to absorb the shock and to prevent seperation of parts in the valvetrain. Here's a decent explanation at the valvetrain. Only problem is they forgot the lifters. Look at the Pushrod section.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft1.htm
lifters are not shock absorbers...if they were shock absorbers then the whole valvetrain would be out of whack