Sponsored by:

*Sigh another suggest a cam thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
on2
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Sigh another suggest a cam thread

Ultimately I will look at what PREDATOR Z and Patrick G suggests to me, but I thought I'd get the board's opinion as well. Suggest a cam spec for me that will fit my needs, doesn't necessarily have to be something off the shelf; custom spec is probably what will suit my needs.

I'm looking for two types of cam specs: The first cam with the most power possible while retaining the absolute smoothest sleeper idle as possible and the second cam that is a compromise between power and friendliness, doesn't necessarily have to be smooth but not crazy either. For the first cam I am hoping for at least 425rwhp and for the second cam I am hoping for as close to 500rwhp as possible. If none of these are possible with the criteria I have above then that is fine, but just to give you all an idea of what numbers I have in my head. For the latter cam, Tony Mamo suggested to me the G5X3 (114) cam, but I just thought I'd get more opinions/suggestions before I pick one.

This will be used in a 2700lb car that is used as a non-daily street car and occasional road race car. No drag racing.

I will flycut if necessary, and do anything elsethat may be necessary.

It will breathe through dual cone filters, no MAF, PTM 95mm throttle body, Tony Mamofied FAST 92, Livernois Stage 3 LS6 heads (2.02, 1.57, dual coil 0.680) milled to 59cc with Yella Terra 1.7 Ultralites, Morel hydraulic lifters (link-bar), 0.040" Cometic head gasket.

This will all exit custom 1 7/8" ceramic coated long-tube headers to dual 3" Magnaflow metallic cats, Burns Stainless 3" X-merge, dual 3" Borla ProXS mufflers.

Other supporting mods include, 25% underdrive pulley (11lbs), Exedy Hypersingle clutch (37lbs), 4" carbon-fiber driveshaft, 42lb injectors, 3.36 rear end.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i was wondering the same thing... i want a came like the first one you stated
Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
on2
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bongva
yea i was wondering the same thing... i want a came like the first one you stated
Yeah but your supporting cast is different from mine so your spec'd cam will likely be different as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by on2
I'm looking for two types of cam specs: The first cam with the most power possible while retaining the absolute smoothest sleeper idle as possible and the second cam that is a compromise between power and friendliness, doesn't necessarily have to be smooth but not crazy either. For the first cam I am hoping for at least 425rwhp and for the second cam I am hoping for as close to 500rwhp as possible. If none of these are possible with the criteria I have above then that is fine, but just to give you all an idea of what numbers I have in my head. For the latter cam, Tony Mamo suggested to me the G5X3 (114) cam, but I just thought I'd get more opinions/suggestions before I pick one.
The first cams goals of smooth sleeper idle and 425 HP do not go together, you may get close though. When I think of smooth idle I am thinking of something like a blower cam which likely wont be taking advantage of your stage 3 heads.

I have a 232/236 on a 112 with TEA stage 3 heads and it made a little over 450HP and 415 TQ. Its not a wild setup but its not smooth and stockish, I find it a happy medium and I think its a good street setup. Tight quench area, high compression, and good valve events will make power.

The second cams goals of 500HP and not too crazy are also not very compatable, to get 500HP at the wheels usually takes an aggressive cam.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
on2
On The Tree

Just to clarify. My Stage 3 heads are 220cc runners. They are just named Stage 3's. They compare to most vendors' Stage 2's.