Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling block

Old 11-07-2008, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling block

Does anybody have any input for pulling the block from the top, I have the head off, also some photos whould be great were the motor mounts and bellhousing are, also do I just need to unbolt the trany?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you do a search on this would help. many people have done this. Its basically unbolting your your tranny taking the back part of the motor w//out the flywheel (which means either taking of the cluthc or torque converter). After that i usually take everything off thats in front, water pump, alternator, ac stuff if you have it and unplut the cam, oil and crank sensor then your ready to pull throught the top. I might of missed something since i dont have many of the stuff in my car anymore. Its not that hard to do at all after you do it once it will be really easy.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

its not to bad i did it last weekened with the heads on.

Pull your headers off and remove the y pipe

remove the front accesorys alt water pump power steering(you need a puller) AC

Unbolt the tq converter

Unbolt the driveshaft from the rear

Remove the wiring and linkage from the Trans

Unbolt the Trans cross member

Let the motor and Trans tilt back on the mounts and remove the bell housing bolts
(Make sure you support the Trans a atv jack works wonders)

on the motor label EVERY wire and vac connections and take lots of pictures

Remove the intake and fuel rales and injectors

To remove the engine i got one long chain and bolted it to the back of the head where the grounds were and on the front of the passenger head then I put bolts in the chain to hold the lift hook in the right position to lift the engine out.

Put some pressure on the lift and start unbolting the 4 engine mount bolts on the pas side then do the long bolt that goes thought the center on the drivers motor mount

Now lift and check for any wiring or throttle cables.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

I took mine out from the top, just the shortblock with no heads. Took all the accessories off (the a/c and ps pump we just unbolted and tied to the side, didn't disconnect any lines). I also took my transmission out, since it wasn't that hard. Only takes an extra 30 minutes or so.

LABEL EVERYTHING!!!

Also, I had the bellhousing on when we pulled mine and it came out, I have a 6 speed and it was near impossible to get the bellhousing loose from the dowel pins that are on the block so we left it on and just dropped the trans.

Going back in I had the water pump on, crank pulley, heads and bellhousing and we managed to stuff it in there.

Search this Thread