Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shaving in oil and grey/metalic oil. Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shaving in oil and grey/metalic oil. Need advise

I changed the oil today for the first time since i got my lsx rx7 running and i saw a fine metallic tint to the oil. After it fully drained i also found (i would guess) about 2 dozen little metal flakes in the drain pan and on the oil plug magnet. My car does use oil and will sometimes smoke on start up. Im not sure if that has to do with the shavings or not but i have a feeling it does.

The motor is from a guy on this forum and the claimed millage by seller and according to the last car fax on the car is only 22K miles. Also the motor has sat for ~3 years that i know of before it started up a few months ago.

I opened up the filter and to my surprise i only saw shiny gray in the the oil and i didnt see any flakes or chunks. EDIT: Just in case you were wondering i run a wix filter.

My question is should i run another 6 qts of oil though it and see if i get more shavings and flakes? or Should i just pull the motor and brace myself for a rebuild/upgrade?

Thank you for any info!

Here are a few pics:

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 AM
TECH Resident

After the engine sat for 3 years did you check to see if it would turn over? How was it stored? Metal of any kind in the oil is definetly not good because it has to be coming from some where. Is it knocking or making any funny noises? I would change the oil and see what happens. But be ready for a rebuild. You can always do a compression test also.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
After the engine sat for 3 years did you check to see if it would turn over? How was it stored? Metal of any kind in the oil is definetly not good because it has to be coming from some where. Is it knocking or making any funny noises? I would change the oil and see what happens. But be ready for a rebuild. You can always do a compression test also.
When i had the motor our i could turn it over with my hands just by turning the crank pulley. It was stored in my garage on an engine stand but the seller said it sat in his car until he parted it out. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the motor has no noises of any kind that are abnormal. It runs smooth, has plenty of power, and there was nothing more then the silver oil (as you can see in the pic of the drain pan) in the filter and no chunks when i pulled the filter apart.

When compression checking what should the motor check at?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"When compression checking what should the motor check at?"

No one will know exact numbers; the point is are all 8 cylinders close in numbers in relation to each other (+/1 10%)

Quick Reply: Metal shaving in oil and grey/metalic oil. Need advise