Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP WHITE STEAM & SLUDGE ON THE OIL CAP AFTER HEAD & CAM INSTALL VIDs AND PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face NEED HELP WHITE STEAM & SLUDGE ON THE OIL CAP AFTER HEAD & CAM INSTALL VIDs AND PICS

Well here is my situation I did a MS4 cam install about 3 months ago but I have not been driving my car because the next day after I got the car tuned the trans went out. Every week I start it and have been noticing white steam from the exhaust it smells like the car is unning very rich not like antifreeze and today after I let the car heat up to its normal temp I noticed white sludge on the oil fill cap look at the picture below. The cars runs and idles fines, it does not over heat, the oil when I check the dip stick it looks clean no white sludge like the cap, the oil pressure is at 50 when is fully warm, it also steams or smokes more when I rev the car to higher rpms I have also noticed steam coming from the oil fill tube I have not noticed any usage of antifreeze but have not been driving it due to the trans being out but I do leave the car running for 30 minutes at least should that be enough time for me to see the antifreeze go down. I have performed a coollant system pressure test while the car was running the pressure would vary from 14-19 psi I guess when the thermostat would open it would go down but it never exeeded 19 psi. also I have attached a video of the car at initial start up and than after is has reached its normal operating temp of 160' also a video of the steam coming from the oil fill tube the temp outside was 48f so it was a little cold. can you guys help me out this is got me worried

So my questions are does that kind of steam looks normal also what about the sludge on the oil cap and the steam coming from the oil fill tube does this look like a head gasket issue or my rings are going bad or do you think maybe it is the valve steam seals.

PLEASE HELP

Initial start up

at 160'

steam from oil fill tube

picture of the oil cap and dip stick

Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steam coming from the oil fill is why people don't like to put breathers on there in that spot. It coats the engine bay. The froth happens with my car also. It builds up when you just start up and let the car run or drive short distances. Both of which happen to my car also after the cam install and haven't had a problem with the motor.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

so does yours have the steam from the oil fill and the exhaust like mine too so this must be normal from the cam I guess because the car ran strong and it dyno at 398 rwhp and 373 rwtq.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

I have a breather on mine and it just comes out from the breather. It doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes. I put down 390rwhp with my setup. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine dose it to I run a vented catch can ad i get the steam too. As far as the water on the oil cap check and make sure all your pcv lines are good they will crack with age and you will never know it. On very cold days my car will shoot steam from the turbo on cold start up and I get alittle water out the dump i have no cats also but one warm it goes away.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Mine dose it to I run a vented catch can ad i get the steam too. As far as the water on the oil cap check and make sure all your pcv lines are good they will crack with age and you will never know it. On very cold days my car will shoot steam from the turbo on cold start up and I get alittle water out the dump i have no cats also but one warm it goes away.
Thats what I was saying with the froth. As long as its regularly driven and not just started up or short trips, it will go away.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

so should I just put a breather on the cap. also what about the white steam from the tail pipes it gets lighter as the car fully warms up but its still does it a little bit also when I drove the car before the the trans went out I would go WOT and it would not leave any smoke behind me or a trail but when the car is parked and I rev to higher rpm I can see more steam than when it is just idleling i would try to post a video when I dynoed the car you can see the steam.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

here is the video when the car was being tuned you can kind of see the steam I had other videos but I do not have them loaded up on the other ones you can see more steam than on this one but is this normal

Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

anybody else
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

You have nothing to worry about bro. Did you have the car dynoed when it was warmer? What type of exhaust do u have? On cold days its going to steam, on hot days it should not. Short trips will not fully burn out the water but longer trips will. The only way I would be concernd is 1. its excessive burning oil like 2 quarts every500 miles, 2. The smell of antifreeze out the tail pipe or oil in the antifreez. 3 Bad mis fires and runing poorly.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
You have nothing to worry about bro. Did you have the car dynoed when it was warmer? What type of exhaust do u have? On cold days its going to steam, on hot days it should not. Short trips will not fully burn out the water but longer trips will. The only way I would be concernd is 1. its excessive burning oil like 2 quarts every500 miles, 2. The smell of antifreeze out the tail pipe or oil in the antifreez. 3 Bad mis fires and runing poorly.
I have pacesetters long tubes and ory with no cats it does steam more on cold days but on warm days it does but you can barely see it when I start it. I did get the car dyno tuned when it was like 70 or 75 AS far as performance it ran fast and strong no antifreeze on the oil and the only smell I get from the exhaust is of the car running very rich nothing like antifreeze as far using oil I have not noticed since I only drove the car for maybe 80 miles before the trans when out on it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Youre fine. Get the trans fixed and you'll be happy.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Youre fine. Get the trans fixed and you'll be happy.
thank man that makes me feel better I was second guessing my self about getting my trans fix and than having to tear it all down again
Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I am in a similar situation. Mine steams and smells real rich out the exhaust, even when warmed up, and I have cats!

As far as the oil thing goes, I have developed a bit of a consumption issue, so I got a catch can and mini breather today, will put it on soon but probably won't drive the car much more cuz it's November and there is already snow here in Michigan
Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

just keep in mind, if you put a breather there you have to cap off the rest of the old pcv system.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
just keep in mind, if you put a breather there you have to cap off the rest of the old pcv system.
so if you put a breather on the oil cap you have to put a breather on the other valve cover and block of the other lines.

I was going to ask you how do you like the performabuild trans I was thinking about buying that trans I also have a vigilante 4000 stall what kind of times have you seen with your set up and on the juice.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

I just bought a little breather from advance and stuck it on there.

I have only had the car going and the trans for a short time. I took it to the track and it worked fine. I couldn't get my car to hook when I went to the track with trans.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

just to give everyone an update I started my car like I normally do every week the only difference I put 93 octane shell gasoline it previously had 115 leaded gasoline and the car quit smoking sorry I did not mention this earlier but I had completely forgot about it.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by assassinz28
just to give everyone an update I started my car like I normally do every week the only difference I put 93 octane shell gasoline it previously had 115 leaded gasoline and the car quit smoking sorry I did not mention this earlier but I had completely forgot about it.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Please tell me I'm ok. My stock engine I installed in my cutlass has started doing this same thing. I have checked the oil and water levels no sign of trouble. The car has true dual exhaust with flow masters & no cats. The exhaust are not tied together. Both sides are blowing steam. The engine runs, starts, and sounds fine. In fact I have only put a few miles on it sense I had it at the track. There is a sign of smoke in the video but I assumed it was tire smoke. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ace-video.html

Last edited by rockytopper; 12-02-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WHITE STEAM & SLUDGE ON THE OIL CAP AFTER HEAD & CAM INSTALL VIDs AND PICS