Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much H.P. can a stock LS1 bottom end hold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much H.P. can a stock LS1 bottom end hold?

I am looking at buying a 02 SS Camaro from a guy locally. It's been outfitted with all of the Hotchkin's suspension upgrades, a Turbo 400, Converter,SLP exhaust, cold air intake, headers, a Lingenfelter camshaft and a Procharger. Horsepower estimates are from 550-700 depening on the pulley setup, BUT CAN A STOCK BOTTOM END LS1 HOLD THIS KIND OF H.P. WITHOUT KICKING THE CRANK OUT OF THE OILPAN OR SHOVING RODS OUT THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK ?

Last edited by Speedjunkie71; 11-18-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add a word
Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in a nutshell - yes. the crank and rods will be the last of your concerns regarding a setup of that sort. i'd guess you'll crack a piston/ringland before anything else happens, assuming a reasonable rev limit and proper engine care. i've seen many 700+whp cars here utilizing the stock bottom end. RPM and lean conditions/detonation will KILL your bottom end at that power level (and any for that matter). i am assuming use of a composite crossover-style intake - be careful not to lean #7, as it is a flaw built into the design of that intake style. i'd leave the small pulley off of it and make sure you have plenty of fuel. with a sub-6,500 rpm shiftpoint - that engine will last long enough for you to get bored with it.

Quick Reply: How much H.P. can a stock LS1 bottom end hold?