Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what heads/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what heads/cam?

Hey guys, im beginning to get in the market for a good heads/cam setup and have had my eye on the classifieds for a while now..

what would you recommend for me to look for?

i am running bolt-ons with a 3600 stall and eventually a 3.73 gear..
in the future after the heads/cam i plan to run around a 150shot of spray after i do a pfbuilt trans and new rear...

for a cam im looking into a midsize cam, one with decent low end power but still more of a mid-max hp cam that would still be suitable for spray..

do you think ported 243's would do the job? i want the car to be around 11.00's or quicker on a good tire and perfect weather after everything..

so what do you think?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look in to a torquer cam from TSP and a set of there 5.3 heads, and let the spray take care of the rest. Good bang for the buck if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

thanks danger! what lsa and compression ratio should i be looking for if i plan to be spraying in the future but what a strong running NA motor?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

so right now im leaning on the PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads and the torquer V.2 cam...seems to be just what im looking for! what do you guys think?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
so right now im leaning on the PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads and the torquer V.2 cam...seems to be just what im looking for! what do you guys think?
I definately agree with you! Those heads will give you a nice bump in compression as well as good throttle response in the low RPMs, mix that with the broad powerband on the torquer v.2 cam and you should have a very driver friendly h/c package. If you aren't afraid of a little lope go with the 112 LSA because it will have a better powerband as well as a better sound IMO. Compression with those heads out of the box is aprox. 10.75:1, and you could definately mill those down a little more for some extra compression if you want.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
Hey guys, im beginning to get in the market for a good heads/cam setup and have had my eye on the classifieds for a while now..

what would you recommend for me to look for?

i am running bolt-ons with a 3600 stall and eventually a 3.73 gear..
in the future after the heads/cam i plan to run around a 150shot of spray after i do a pfbuilt trans and new rear...

for a cam im looking into a midsize cam, one with decent low end power but still more of a mid-max hp cam that would still be suitable for spray..

do you think ported 243's would do the job? i want the car to be around 11.00's or quicker on a good tire and perfect weather after everything..

so what do you think?

If your goal is 11.0's then just get the nitrous kit for around $500 and if you don't have a tune get a tune with a couple dregrees less timing and 11.0's would be easy. My car when stock (only Borla cat back) ran 11.30's nearly every weekend driving it to the track, switching the tires and spraying a 150 shot.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

what lsa and compression ratio would you guys recommend to be okay with the 150 shot though? i want the choppy idle for sure but i heard a higher lsa is better for nitrous applications?

and ***** those are some sick times! i definitely want to do the heads/cam/spray though, so if i go faster then 11.0 with them thats all the better lol!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danger ds
I would look in to a torquer cam from TSP and a set of there 5.3 heads, and let the spray take care of the rest. Good bang for the buck if you ask me.
Deff man!

I'd say go with a Torquer 2 or 3 with some LS6 heads and some Nitrous. That thing will move.

EDIT: I'd go 112 LSA, or have Patrick G spec you out a custom cam.