Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L Burning coolant once it reaches operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3L Burning coolant once it reaches operating temp

It's in a stock 01 GMC Sierra I picked up. It was wrecked but drivable. It has what the previous owner described as a slight misfire. I drove it and noticed the misfire at certain rpms and loads, then one day it started misfiring BAD and the SES light was flashing. I babied it home, didn't notice a trail of white smoke behind me or anything lol. I started it the next day and it sat idleing in my drive and once it got to operating temp billows of white smoke came out my tail pipe lol. It does it everytime you let it warm up now.

This will be the first LS engine I've torn into. No coolant in the intake in these correct? The only thing I can think of is head gasket, cracked head or cylinder... I thought LONGGGGSHOTTTT the TB has a small crack where the coolant runs through it lol but I think thats 1 in 1000000000000000 chance.

I can't pull the engine til I get the body work done (not enough room!) so I'm just speculating right now, just wanted to see what your guys guess is! I'll post up what it ends up being. I'm going to let it warm up till it starts burning coolant then shut her down and pull the engine and see which cylinder(s) had water in them and figure out what the cause was!

I'm trying to keep this one stock!!!! It's so tempting to throw LS1 rods/ pistons a small cam and a stall in it though!!! It would be so "cheap"... Grrrrrrr

Intake, Exhaust, and a tune only though... Focus on the Trans Am lol.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why go through all that work to throw in the LS1 garbage parts. Put a nice 224/224 cam and a stall in it or whatver and your good to go. Youll spend more then you gain boring the block out to the ls1 size, and by the time you get everything back together.

If its just the heads replace them. ( i have a set of low mileage ones for sale too )

You would be amazed how strong these engines are.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do weird things when you work at a machine shop

Yeah we'll see I have a feeling the head(s) cracked but we'll see.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

You know its the damedist thing. I did an 05 avalanche that was leaking coolant between the head and block in the front... Not burnning it... It had a gasket replaced under warranty but it started leaking again almost right away. You could see on the passanger side were it was leaking between the head and block... We Had the heads surfaced and pressure checked and all was good. So when I put it back together I used something like Avation glue or something like that. I put it on the head gasket around the front water passage holes and around the bolt holes. on both the top and bottom sides of the gasskets. I also carefully pulled the Layers of the GM MLS gasket apart just enough to get some glue in there too!!! I replaced all the Head bolts with new ones. Worked out Great!!! The owner had the truck shipped back To the middle East and has not had a problem with it since.

In 01 yours should have an MLS head Gasket. I am willing to bet the heads check out ok unless they were struck in the accident. The only issue I have seen with the heads is buring a little oil. The only ones I have seen or heard of beeing cracked are ones that were run with no coolant over a period of time, or there was a TSb about a specific casting having a defect in them I beleived it is reffered to as the Castech logo and it looks like a little battery... covers 01-06 silverados and a few other models too...

Any way here is the TSB#

GM TSB# 06-06-01-019B

Best Info I found with a google search and Has pictures too...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...0&#entry477800

Quick Reply: 5.3L Burning coolant once it reaches operating temp