Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller rocker help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller rocker help

ok so im looking at the scorpion roller rockers, they come in 1.7 and 1.8 for the LS1.

could anyone tell me the benefits of swaping out the stock ones for these scorpions? is there any performance value in doing this? if so which ones to go with, the 1.7 or the 1.8?

im working with an 99 SS, headers/exhaust bolt on mods. no cam.

thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

$$$ vs HP is crap. Not worth it.

LS6 intake will give you more HP.
Cam would give you more HP.
SD Dyno tune would give more HP.

If you don't want a "cammed LS1" for some reason, just get a factory LS6 cam and LS6 yellow springs. Would give more HP than RR.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for your reply
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1BlackBeauty98
ok so im looking at the scorpion roller rockers, they come in 1.7 and 1.8 for the LS1.

could anyone tell me the benefits of swaping out the stock ones for these scorpions? is there any performance value in doing this? if so which ones to go with, the 1.7 or the 1.8?

thanks in advance

Actually, 1.8 RR's are a good alternative for those whom don't want to get into cam swaps (1.8's on stock or mild cams ONLY). The 1.8's will give your stock cam increased valve lift + the added flow of an LS6 intake is a good combo. Get a ported TB for the intake.

That being said, you must know how to properly install the 1.8's which will mean new pushrods (different length) in order to keep the valve wipe pattern centered.

The 1.7's will not add valve lift (same ratio as stock) & the although the rollers will reduce friction, there's really no need to use 'em.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Actually, 1.8 RR's are a good alternative for those whom don't want to get into cam swaps (1.8's on stock or mild cams ONLY). The 1.8's will give your stock cam increased valve lift + the added flow of an LS6 intake is a good combo. Get a ported TB for the intake.

That being said, you must know how to properly install the 1.8's which will mean new pushrods (different length) in order to keep the valve wipe pattern centered.

The 1.7's will not add valve lift (same ratio as stock) & the although the rollers will reduce friction, there's really no need to use 'em.

how long would the new pushrod length need to be?
if i keep the same pushrods the valve wipe pattern would be not centered, what does that mean?
sorry for all the questions just trying to get all my informaiton right.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

how long would the new pushrod length need to be?
if i keep the same pushrods the valve wipe pattern would be not centered, what does that mean?
sorry for all the questions just trying to get all my informaiton right.

I can't tell you how long. You have to use a pushrod length checker in order to check. It's not something that should be done without a complete understanding of the proceedure. Search the topic, "installing rocker arms" or
"how to check pushrod length."

If the wipe pattern is not centered, your valve guides will wear quickly because of the side load created by the rocker arm.

Also, a tune will be needed once the pushrods, intake & TB are added.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Only advantages then for RR's is what? Durability using a power adder?

actual question not a smart *** remark
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RyanM02

i know its not a smart remark
i never thought to really change the rockers unless u needed to change them like when u have a big cam ect...

just gathering some informaiton
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pushrod length will not affect the wipe pattern unless they are adjustable, which the Scorpion's are not. I would consider Yella Terra over Scorpion as there have been several sets of broken Scorpion's on this board.

This doesn't mean new pushrods won't be required, but it is a function of the geometry.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RyanM02

As noted above; added valve lift from 1.8's. As noted above, no reason to used 1.7's because all they offer is reduced friction (same ratio as stock).
IMO, changing rocker ratios should be done w/ adjustable rockers. If non-adjustable rockers are used w/ 1.8's, the wipe pattern will not be correct unless different length pushrods are used. Even then, the wipe may not be exactly where it should be.

This information is covered in the stickies.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks in advance
Be very careful chosing the Scorpion Roller Rockers. There have been many failed Scorpion rockers. I've seen a box full of them at G-Force in Houston (Pearland).

If you "need" roller rockers, look at other brands (Yella Terra, Comp Cams, Crane, etc.)

I'd avoid the Scorpions, but do yourself a favor and search for Scorpion on the board. Read the problems others have had.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If non-adjustable rockers are used w/ 1.8's, the wipe pattern will not be correct unless different length pushrods are used.

This information is covered in the stickies.
With a fixed fulcrum rocker, the pushrod will not change the wipe unless it is so short it is loose or so long the valve stays open. With an adjustable rocker, pushrod length affects both wipe and preload. If the stickies state that pushrod length affects wipe, it is incorrect.