Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on broken springs:

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update on broken springs:

Well, I had DSW replace my retainers and springs. I also had them do a leakdown on cyl # 7 where I had my broken spring, came out perfect *YAY* the heads don't have to come off!!!!

Anyhoo, after 3k miles with the rockers hitting the Ti retainers the wrong way, I had a comp 978 dual spring break into 3 pieces on me(cracked in 2 places, the bottom piece was totally disconnected, and then broken in half in the middle), the inner dual spring held up the valve, so they did their job. I also was un-aware that I had a broken damper on another spring, guess that one was going too.

To those of you with PP S2 5.3L heads and the comp 978's, change your rockers if they are hitting, cause your springs won't last long like mine. Oh yeah, I now have new cleared rockers on there, so everything is checking out a-Ok. I just wish this whole mess could have been avoided to begin with.

-Steve
Old 09-23-2003, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Update on broken springs:

Glad you got all that cleared up! Now stick some headers on that SOB and let it BREATH!!! Btw.. did you replace the springs with more 978's or go with something different?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Update on broken springs:

Since I got cleared rockers, I kept the 978's, i really didn't want to change the seat or seals.
-Steve