Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billet Main caps and bearings - Engine builders inside Please (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Main caps and bearings - Engine builders inside Please (pics)

What are some of your opinions on the main caps, they are callies billet mains. It looks to me that they were cut to big by my machine shop and didnt have enough left to hone them, IDK. Also do the bearings look normal for a motor with at most 10 passes and MAYBE 100 street miles? Sorry about the quality of the pics, but main caps 2,3, and 4 are real rough and 1 and 5 are nicely honed.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

the bearings look a little... gooey? and they appear to have some scoring on them. if u run ur finger nail across them does the nail catch? if so thats not good. the main caps just judging by the pics... a higher res. pic would be nice. they are definataly not all the same which is odd. how reputable is the machine shop?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the bearing do have some scoring on them, but what I dont understand is the brownish color on the bearings(It is NOT copper, I can sand it off).

Also I went to fit some new bearings in it and with the bearings marked (permanant marker) I started to torque the caps down, only put it at about 25ft lbs, reached down and could barly spin the crank by hand, so I spun it a couple of times and pulled the caps back off to check my marks. What I found was the three middle bearings were showing no tight spots at all and the two outer caps had rubbed the marker almost completly off.

All the bearings are std. old ones and new ones.

As for the machine shop, he has done a few for us and all of them have been GREAT. All three have seen anywhere from 600 to 900rwhp and held up great. This one hasnt even been past 600 yet.

I am posting some more pics of the old bearing and will try to get some better ones of the caps.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the crank got tight for you, not to be stupid, did have all the caps the right way? Did you noticed the way they were when it was running? maybe somone did the aline hone with a placment off? But ya, somthings up with thosue caps your gona have look into that more.
On the color of the mains, what brans and PN are they? The color is normal for some, I've used the std. clevite 2199 H have that coating apearence, besides yours being trashed.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, I put all the caps on right, he stamped them on the cap and the block right next to each other.

The bearings are coated, they are like a bluish color. You can see where the crank was making contact withe the bearings and that part is still blueish but the rest of the bearing has like a brown layer on it.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Well, you say you tightened it up to 25 ft lbs, and you could not turn the crank, right? Well, you obvioulsy have a clearnace issue. Have you rechecked the main's. There are ALOT of maybe's here:

Maybe when he did the line hone, had caps on wrong, and when he assembled the motor, put them on right?

Maybe the other way around???

Maybe the motor was not "prelubed" before start up?

Just because your machine shop has done motors for you before, does not mean he is exempt from screwups. Not saying he did, but MAYBE he did

The color could be a coating of some sort, but the bearings are still trashed, and yes, they look alot worse than a few passes and 100 miles. NOT to be funny, but they look like some bearings I pulled out of a 150K mile 302 small block Ford that lost oil pressure.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by addicted2myWS6
What are some of your opinions on the main caps, they are callies billet mains. It looks to me that they were cut to big by my machine shop and didnt have enough left to hone them, IDK. Also do the bearings look normal for a motor with at most 10 passes and MAYBE 100 street miles? Sorry about the quality of the pics, but main caps 2,3, and 4 are real rough and 1 and 5 are nicely honed.

Now, in this picture, look at the TOP of (RIGHT to left) second bearing. Looks pretty beat up, like the bearing was wedged in the saddle, and you took a screwdriver and hammer to get it out. Now, did that happen BEFORE or AFTER. In other words, when you disassembled the motor, did you notice that damage on that bearing before you broke it all teh way down? Or did you do that taking the motor apart?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

The damage to the bearing had to have been done before, I took all the bearings out of the motor by hand. I did not notice the mark you mentioned before. As far as the main caps in the wrong spot, I checked the position on them as I pulled them to make sure they were where they were supposed to be.

I had a decent vibration in the motor, that is why I tore it apart. I had tried everything to get the vibration out and finally said screw it and yanked it.

This just pisses me off, I had him build the motor because I was to busy at the time and could have fucked something up real bad if I wouldnt have tore it apart.

I am going out to garage to check everything out and see if I can figure out where it went wrong.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah that's a tough one to figure out over the web. I would have teh main's measured up/clearances checked and maybe you can find something there. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Teching In

My opinion is your machine shop does not have the equipment to do a align bore. The caps are aftermarket and if they have never been matched to the block, the main bearing alignment is so far off that the crank won't turn. Few shops can do more than a line hone.