Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo BMW guy looking for LS1 information

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo BMW guy looking for LS1 information

Hello everyone - I am looking into LS1 engines for my car. I am mechanically and technically inclined, but I don't know enough about the engines. I have been searching around to see what most guys are doing but there's just so many approaches that I am a bit lost as to what's involved.

Basically, I am very very familiar with all of BMWs engines - I have a bored and stroked inline 6 w/ a 76mm turbo, nitrous, and methanol on standalone engine management, etc. This is primarily a street/drag car and so I have weld pro stars and M/T's on the car w/ skinnies up front - its quite a sight. I can take a bare block and turn it into a built stroked motor in BMW land, but don't have the foggiest idea when it comes to the V8s.

I am flirting with the idea, and trying to figure out pricing, of building an LS1 for a single turbo. I noticed some motors are aluminum and some are iron. Do guys sleeve the aluminum blocks or is it not necessary? I'd be motivated go aluminum to save on weight, but I am not sure if there are con's to doing that. Should I try and find a stock motor and build that up, or should I start with an empty block and get a crank and rods and pistons, etc. Are stock heads decent?

Basically, any schooling on these motors I can get is appreciated. I'd post pictures of my current project but I don't think I can yet. Again, just flirting with the idea and I can do all the fabrication and machining of parts so that's not a worry - advise me!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM

testing pic
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

You're in the right spot, but honestly searching and reading is the best bet to get up to speed. Try searching for 'boosted list' in the Forced Induction section to get a good idea of what other setups run and the results they have. Sleeving a stock block is a recepie for disaster IMO, so look to run an Iron 6.0 unless you want to spend bigger bucks on an LSX. The combo you end up with will depend on your power goal, but you can get 800hp fairly easily and reliably with a 6.0 block, forged rotating assy, a good set of heads and a turbo setup. As far as the build you can either do it yourself or get a shortblock assembly from one of the sponsors setup and ready to go.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the reply - Right now with my motor setup I am pretty easily in the 800 - 1000 hp zone on my 2.9L w/ nitrous. I was hoping for more like 1200 - 1500 hp area. So iron block is probably the way to go huh? I will have to read up tonight after work and really get familiar with these motors. I don't really know what "bigger bucks" in the LS world means yet so I don't know, maybe an LSX wouldn't be out of budget, but I am just not sure. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def a iron block....and burst panels in the intake if you are running n2o with a composite intake...

btw that bimmer looks sweet man.....
05 330ci here as well as the camaro
maybe you can help me on the 330 to get it moving along a little faster
Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
def a iron block....and burst panels in the intake if you are running n2o with a composite intake...

btw that bimmer looks sweet man.....
05 330ci here as well as the camaro
maybe you can help me on the 330 to get it moving along a little faster
People run composite intakes at the power levels he's looking for? That's something new to me...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess not!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

And Harlan put the stock AL block and crank through hell and back.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would look at Lingenfelter and a few of the other vendors that supply aluminum short blocks with high end components. Then get a hold of someone like Tony Mamo at AFR about heads, etc. I personally would stay aluminum to save weight or handling of the BMW would suffer IMO. I have a 325 and would think dropping in extra weight would screw up the handing. It has the performance handling package and corners on rails (although its my wife's car and she hates it when I drive it like that )

There is also a forum (not sure where) of guys who drop LSx blocks into RX7's. One of the guys I work with is planning that conversion. Although not the same platform, you may be able to find out some of the major gotcha's from those guys.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Heres a couple of my bimmers. Not making or looking to make the power you are, but its deffintly possable. Your 5 series will deffintly have ALOT more room to work with then my 3 series
I have a 1990 325i e30 with a 5.3l Vortec, LS6 and soon to have 150shot hooked up
I also have which i am in the middle of building now is a 5.3l vortec with a T70 turbo. Here are a few pics. Not much updated on the e30, but she has been running and driving for awhile now.
( The engine bay in this pic is ugly, but looks much better now )( old pic )

Quick Reply: turbo BMW guy looking for LS1 information