Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker question

A friend of mine gave me some 1.75 roller rockers he was going too use on his car but he sold it. On a stock c5 Z06 will this result in a valve to pistion interferance? Or will it not result in anything at all?

Dave
Old 12-11-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont do it. A z06 runs sodium filled valves. They are weaker you'd probably run a better chance of breaking one if you didnt set up the wipe pattern perfectly. Also it would be advised to upgrade your springs. I wouldnt imagine you would see any real gains but would open a few new potential risks. I'm running the stock rockers with a .651 lift cam. They are very strong, just heavy.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were would you see breakage? Would it be on the valve end due to impact loads? Or would it be a separated valve end? And are you referring too the fact that they are full roller rockers or the slight increase in ratio (.5) as a problem? Thanks for you input it is greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I currently run Crane 1.8 rockers on my 03 Z06. I ran them for 2.5 years on the stock top end with no detrimental effects. I'm still running them, but with a new cam and top end configuration. The car is my daily driver and I participate in 3 - 4 open track events a year so the car is driven hard.

The Crane rockers are heavier than the stock rockers and a nice set of valve springs is always a good addition. One negative aspect of the stock rockers that not many mention is the low actual rocker ratio. The stock rockers have a variable ratio from 1.4 to 1.7. They only see 1.7 for a very minute amount engine rotation time.

All that said, you shouldn't have any issues running 1.75 ratio rockers on your car. You won't see much a power increase so don't get your hopes too high. When changing any valvetrain part, ensure it is properly set up for YOUR application.