Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple of questions about oil leak and codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default couple of questions about oil leak and codes

I have a nasty oil leak on the back of the engine. It was obvious the valve cover gaskets were leaking.(SEE PHOTO) What else in the area behind the intake could leak, besides the oil press switch? Is the metal tube that goes from head to head coolant? Also, Is the broken hose above my finger suppose to run over to the pcv vent pipe on the left rear part of the valve cover? Could this be a oil leak source? This thing has 197,000 on it and runs great, I just want to fix the leaks and stick it back in the car. I also have codes P0410,P0412,and P0418(all secondary air injection system related). Is this broken hose related to that?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

The metal that connects to the two cylinder heads is the coolant crossover pipe. There is another one on the front of the engine. But that is not causing the oil leaks.

Also, Is the broken hose above my finger suppose to run over to the pcv vent pipe on the left rear part of the valve cover? Could this be a oil leak source?
Correct. That is the crossover line between the two valve covers for the PCV system.
It looks like it was melted. I assume it was smoking pretty bad when the engine was hot. Replace the hose and that should fix the problem.. and please clean the engine.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

The broken PCV hose is not the source of that huge oil leak. My hose melted in the same exact spot. A new hose is around 130 dollars..id recomend using fuel line and some fittings to make new one. Seeing as how you're motor is out of the car you could look into an LS6 PCV swap. Gets rid of some clutter and keeps your intake cleaner. As far your secondary AIR injection codes, check the relay for the AIR system, it looks like a fuse.Could be an easy fix.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
.. and please clean the engine.
glad he posted pics. most ask questions and you hardly know what they are talking about.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the broken pcv line could cause that mess. There are some pictures of the PCV setup here:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Here is the pic of the PCV hoses:
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...kpcvsystem.jpg
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I think the broken pcv line could cause that mess. There are some pictures of the PCV setup here:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Here is the pic of the PCV hoses:
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...kpcvsystem.jpg
I can't see what else what would caused such a bad mess, especially considering the burnt hose and the driver side hose was disconnected as well. Maybe bad valve cover gaskets? Hopefully the OP will post with an update.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

I'm not saying the hose didnt cause some of that but, My guess is leaking valve covers. Notice the oil seems to go all the way up to the front of the passanger side head. Like i said my hose melted in the same spot..no telling how long it had been like that either. I noticed it when i put on my LS6 intake and i had no where near that amount of oil on my motor. As for the A.I.R. codes, i still suggest checking the fuse and the relay as a starting point.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Looking closer at the valve cover gaskets it does look like they're covered in oil. Maybe it is them, but we'll never know if the OP doesn't post an update.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

My bothers Z seems to have the same problem with the seal on the passanger side valve covers and it only has 102,000 miles on it. Makes me wonder if his engine doesn't look like yours from behind. Hope you find the cause but it might seems like the valve cover gaskets are your problem.