Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I...breaking in and tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H/C/I...breaking in and tuning questions

I'm doing serious modifications to my baby this winter and I had some questions before I get too far into it. My mods are these:

Ported 5.3L Heads (milled to 60cc)
Torquer V.2 Cam
LS6 Intake
38# Injectors
LS7 Lifters
PRC Double Valve Springs
and all other supporting mods

I was wondering...

When I'm done putting everything together what should be my course of action? I was planning on not even starting the car, towing it down to Richmond, and having Steve tune it right away. BUT...the cam install booklet that came with my cam says I should "break in" the cam for 30 minutes at 2000-2500rpms. The problem is that I'm bumping the compression up a little and increasing the injector size to a point that I'm afraid I'll run into predetonation without a tune.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only break-in you should worry about is heat cycling the springs first, while not going over 2500rpm like your booklet mentioned. Tuner should be able to get some baseline readings and data logging and tune for the injectors to prevent any detonation for the time being. Once the springs fully cool, he'll be able to finish off any needed tuning, including the WOT kind!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be fine to start it. I went from a bolton small cam tune to 60# injectors, biger fuel pump, 317 heads, differant cam, lost a point in compression, and a blower. I put about 50-100 miles on my car. You have to burp all the air out of the coolant, and I would give the engine 2-3 heat cycles then change the oil and filter. Make sure it pumping oil and every thing sounds ok ect...ect. Then tow it to the tuner. Bring a extra set of spark plugs to the tuner my need them.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
You'll be fine to start it. I went from a bolton small cam tune to 60# injectors, biger fuel pump, 317 heads, differant cam, lost a point in compression, and a blower. I put about 50-100 miles on my car. You have to burp all the air out of the coolant, and I would give the engine 2-3 heat cycles then change the oil and filter. Make sure it pumping oil and every thing sounds ok ect...ect. Then tow it to the tuner. Bring a extra set of spark plugs to the tuner my need them.
+1 was going to say the same thing
Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to do an almost identical install ( probably be closer to march before i can do it though) so even if they sound stupid remember they are sincere.

why an extra set of spark plugs.

what benefit are the LS7 lifters?

What kind of compression ratio will you get with the heads milled to 60CC?

how did you decide on injector size?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
I'm going to do an almost identical install ( probably be closer to march before i can do it though) so even if they sound stupid remember they are sincere.

why an extra set of spark plugs.
Its just a good thing to have, one time when I was on TSP's dyno we were having an issue that turned out to be a cracked plug, I did the swap right there with the car still strapped in on the rollers and we were back in business.

what benefit are the LS7 lifters?
The GM LS7 lifters are the same exact lifters used in pretty much all roller sbc/bbc ls1/ls2/ls3/ls6/ls7/etc.. engines . They are cheap and have a relatively good track record considering there have been millions of sets of these lifters used in the 20 or so years GM has been using them
What kind of compression ratio will you get with the heads milled to 60CC?
i dont know this one
how did you decide on injector size?
Im out of town right now, when i get back home i'll post up the formula to figuring out exactly what sized injectors you require. a search may find the info as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I thought LS7 lifter meant the lifters from an LS7 engine. as for the injector i've found a few.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
Thanks I thought LS7 lifter meant the lifters from an LS7 engine. as for the injector i've found a few.
they are the lifters from an LS7, but they are also the same ones used in most all of the other LS motors. calling them "LS7 lifters" is probably used more as a selling point as it more then likely sounds better to someone modding there car then "stock replacement"

Im glad you were able to find your injectors