Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Mod Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant Mod Identification

Here are pictures showing the two coolant lines that are supposed to be attached to the corresponding valves by the throttle body as indicated by the arrows. A technician had pointed out to me that these two have been disconnected on mine, and so I was hoping to get an idea of what purpose this modification serves.

Another question I wanted to ask is: Many use the method of detaching the line in the lower picture when filling coolant into the radiator to get out most of the air, since this line is the highest point of the cooling system. Once coolant starts to drip out from that line, then they reconnect it, leaving little to no air inside. So for someone who has this line disconnected from a system modification, what is the next best method for minimizing air in the coolant?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Is the line just plugged off and the nipple on the radiator capped? If so you need to run a hose from the coolant bleed to the radiator. It's a common mod for people to bypass the throttle body to prevent it from heating the incoming air, but just plugging the line off at the heads isn't good.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

The line under the radiator cap extends further down but has a bolt-like object sealing it as a dead end. I would say it's got about a foot length hanging there.

So for a throttle body bypass, it's safe to just reattach the hoses? Should I try to get out any dirt and residue from the exposed valves first?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

You can just blow thru them with air if you like. If you want to leave the throttle body bypassed(which almost everyone does) go to a hardware store and get a 1/4" barbed hose fitting and a couple hose clamps.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

just run a piece of hose from the radiator to the steam vent tube you have capped off. that is the bypass mod. i dont know wtf your car has going on that is some weird ****
Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a TB bypass epic fail. Just get the fitting and connect the hoses.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jsteele90
just run a piece of hose from the radiator to the steam vent tube you have capped off. that is the bypass mod.
By "steam vent tube," are you talking about the exposed metal piece in the second picture?

Originally Posted by TXMaro
looks like a TB bypass epic fail. Just get the fitting and connect the hoses.
Epic fail? By "fitting," do you mean the metal tightener rings?

Just out of curiosity, what's the worst that could happen when you run the vehicle with this kind of bypass?