Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine rebuilders check this out

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine rebuilders check this out

This is my first rebuild and I have noticed two things different with my 02 block and my 98 block.
On the 98 block there are two plugs, one on the front of the engine and one on the rear. The front on is to the right of the oil pump and looks like a freeze plug. The second one is on the rear and to the left of the crankshaft. It looks like a freeze plug but installed upside down. Here is a two pics of what I am talking about they are rather large to see what I am talking about

The 02 block doesn't have them, are they important or a revision between the two years. I would hate to get this thing all bottoned up and start it if those two plugs need to be there. To toast this new engine would suck
Thanks,
J
Old 10-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: engine rebuilders check this out

Don't think the first one is a big deal, but the second one is the oil galley plug. Never seen one without it, but it could have been deleted in the 2002 year. If the hole is there and you leave that plug out, you will have no oil pressure.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are both required, otherwise you'll have no oilpressure.

The first blocks one end of the galley that runs along the bottom skirt of the block, they second block the back and diverts the oil into and back out of the filter.

They are not in the new block cause the might have been removed if the block was tanked.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are both required, otherwise you'll have no oilpressure.

The first blocks one end of the galley that runs along the bottom skirt of the block, they second block the back and diverts the oil into and back out of the filter.

They are not in the new block cause the might have been removed if the block was tanked.

Yep!! The one in the rear is the one everyone talks about when they fire their new motor and dont have oil pressure (seen lots of threads on here)
Old 10-08-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

HOLY **** Thanks Harlan. I guess I will be ordering these two things today. I called the machine shop and he swears he didn't take them out.
Does anyone have some GM numbers for these off hand.
Harlan
Carl, that's exactly what I was afraid of, no oil pressure. I've never read up on this because I thought the blocks were good to go from GM sources, I am glad I noticed it.
J
Old 10-08-2003, 03:38 PM

12558340 for the plug in the back. DO NOT reuse the old one The blocks dont come with them installed
Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the PN Carl Now I need the front plug number and I am all set. Lets see if the guys at the dealership can find what I need.
Thanks all,
J
Old 10-08-2003, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

12558340 for the plug in the back. DO NOT reuse the old one The blocks dont come with them installed
What is the reason for not using the old one???? Would there be oil pressure issues???
Old 10-08-2003, 07:31 PM

I imagine there could be. You know how when you first get something (like a woman ) and its all new then you "use" it once and then its just not as tight as before .... same thing The book says not to reuse the old one and at $4.00, its a safe bet to replace it

No offence to the ladies here.. just a very crude way to explain it... its all I could think of
Old 10-08-2003, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the PN Carl Now I need the front plug number and I am all set. Lets see if the guys at the dealership can find what I need.
Thanks all,
J
Part # 9427693

Have part, Ill have the part number
Old 10-08-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks again Carl you are a major help. I like your way of explaining stuff. Too bad the local dealerships don't stock any LS1 parts, I always have to special order stuff from them. So I called Valvegod(shaun) and he had them on hand and will have them here by friday. This board is awesome.
on a side note:
I was checking out my old heads and I had a broken valvespring, but all the pistons are fine on the old LS1, It is the very bottom coil, I never heard any racket-car is too loud from both ends s/c up front Loudmouth in the rear and I have only one good ear, lol. I ran a best of 11.36@120 the other night on it too. My previous best was 11.5@117!
The spring was a comp cams spring but not a 918, I will dig up the reciept to find out what I bought back in the day for my Lil B1 cam. I wonder how long it was broke? I have pics if anyone wants to see them.
Thanks for all the help guys,
J
Old 10-08-2003, 08:52 PM

No problem I usually get my parts from gmpartsdirect.com because some of the parts are more than 1/2 of what dealers sell them for. Its just shipping is high unless you buy multiple thing
Old 10-09-2003, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine there could be. You know how when you first get something (like a woman ) and its all new then you "use" it once and then its just not as tight as before .... same thing The book says not to reuse the old one and at $4.00, its a safe bet to replace it

Great way of explaining it!!!