Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 1st shift - how serious

Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd to 1st shift - how serious

Hey everyone, newbie to the site with a bad vibe about my 99TA. I'll give the short version of my story - I let my bro-in law drive my TA about a month ago and unfortunately gave him the go ahead to womp on it and he mis shifted 2nd to 1st. After swiftly kicking him in the nutz I proceeded to check on my car. I didnt notice any strange sounds at the time but since then I am hearing a ticking sound (not too loud, but noticeable) and the car doesn't seem to have the ballz it used to. I did some looking on various sites and found potential probs to be bent pushrods, valves etc. How difficult is it to check pushrods (any discussion on how to do it would also help) and what about the valves and what else should I check and how. So much for short version I'm a little panicked about the whole situation though.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: 2nd to 1st shift - how serious

Not very difficlut at all. Just get a torque wrench922 ft lbs for rockers) a 8mm socket, 10 mm socket 3/8 drive rachet, 1/4 drive rachet and you are good to go. took me about 4-6 hours to do it on my 00 SS for the first time, this was removing a replacing 16 pushrods some of which were badly bent
Old 10-10-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the same thing in my car a couple of years ago (3rd to 2nd, though), and my pushrods were okay... but my timing chain had gotten stretched. Had it replaced, and the car came back to it's old self.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Teching In

I would recommend not driving it. I had a bent pushrod ticking and drove it for a week. The day I was going to get a set to replace them I broke a pushrod. Still waiting on new ones, so I'm hoping the valve is ok...

Search this Thread