Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Katech or any other vendor offer a high volume oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Katech or any other vendor offer a high volume oil pump

I have a stock shimmed oil pump and i would like an aftermarket high performance pump which makes more oil pressure for my brand new 427 C5R block motor. Does Katech, or any other vendor offer a high volume oil pump other than the typical stock pump that most tuners shim, etc. MY pressure seems a bit low and i want to increase it to protect this EXPENSIVE 427 C5R block i just had built by MTI!

Thanks,
Old 10-11-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Does Katech or any other vendor offer a high volume oil pump

What is your oil pressure at idle once it reaches operating temperature? I'm curious to see what yours runs compared to mine. Also what weight oil are you running?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

MY question is, How the hell did u get a C5R 427 from MTI and get a stock pump? I am nucking futz or something?

Old 10-11-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the Katech oil pump and im sure its just like any other oil pump out there thats ported but knowing its the same one that goes into the C5R i figured i couldnt go wrong.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

MY question is, How the hell did u get a C5R 427 from MTI and get a stock pump? I am nucking futz or something?

That's what I was wondering. MTI's motors come with their own oil systems that they install with their stroker motors.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

CANNIBAL:

Have about 920 miles on the new motor and everything has been very good so far except i don't think i am making enuff oil pressure.I am still breakin in the motor so i am using 10W 40, non-synthetic PENZOIL, and plan on going to MOBIL 1 full syn,when i get about 3 to 5000 miles on the new motor.

I have only got WOT about 15 times so far and mostly on the highway without any problems. However,this afternoon i got on the car from a standstill and when shifting into 3rd at about 6200 rpms the low oil pressure warning came on my display and needless to say this was very concerning.

No harm was done and i then later on checked what my oil pressure was at about 6000 rpms after starting from a standstill again and no warning went off this time but my oil pressure was only about 30psi at 6000 rpms and this seems to low. And yes, there was a full amount of oil in the car when this happended. SO far, the low oil pressure warning has only gone on once but i have been driving the car pretty easy as i am breaking in the new engine, etc.

FYI, at idle at a stop lite when engine is fully warmed up, the oil pressure goes down to about 22 to 20 psi and even has gone as low as 19 at idle. As soon as i start to drive again the oil pressure kicks up to about 45psi. On the highway the car seems to make around 45 to 50 psi. My biggest concern is when i launch hard from a stop and at the high rpms the way this car revs so fast the oil pressure is only about 30 psi.

What do you guys think? Do you think i will be ok with this oil pressure i have told you about or not. Any recommendations? Also, please not that when the car is cold started the oil pressure when cold an idling is a least 70 to 73 psi.

Obviously i would not really be concerned except for getting the low oil pressure warning the one time today and that gets me worried that i could cause damage to this very expensive motor if and when that happens again in a hard accleration/1/4 mile type run.

What do you guys recommend. I know MTI and most tuners simply shim and port the stock oil pump and this seems to work fine. However, it leaves an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach when "low oil pressure" gets displayed on my DIC and i am running a VERY EXPENSIVE new motor.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have that problem I added 1/2 qt extra so it is slightly over flow with no more issues PS katech is a higher volume pump sounds like you are sucking the pan dry.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

i got the Katech oil pump and im sure its just like any other oil pump out there thats ported but knowing its the same one that goes into the C5R i figured i couldnt go wrong.
C5R is a dry sump oil system, so that's not the pump they use in the C5R engines.

Eric
Old 10-12-2003, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

FYI, at idle at a stop lite when engine is fully warmed up, the oil pressure goes down to about 22 to 20 psi and even has gone as low as 19 at idle. As soon as i start to drive again the oil pressure kicks up to about 45psi. On the highway the car seems to make around 45 to 50 psi. My biggest concern is when i launch hard from a stop and at the high rpms the way this car revs so fast the oil pressure is only about 30 psi.

That's the same thing mine does that you described in this quoted portion.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:28 AM

Theat sounds like too much play in the bearings (clearences too big). When yor low oil pressure light comes on, you have 0 psi of pressure. I did this myself and thats why I know for a fact. When you have no pressure, you have metal to metal contact. That means the bearings and the crank journals are rubbing together.

With that oil pressure from a $20k+ package, my butt would be sitting on MITs doorstep first thing!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with Country Boy.... You guys definately should have higher pressure than that. I know I'm only running on stock cubes which may make a difference, however, I have a ported MTI oil pump and my H/C motor idles at something like 60+PSI and around 70 when driving. I'm not sure what these super strokers typically have for oil pressure but the numbers given definately seem low to me. Maybe you could try putting in 1/2qt. more oil like Hawk said and see if it makes any difference, if not sounds like it would be a good idea to give MTI a call and see what they say.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stroker motor tolerances aren't as tight as factory LS1 motors, hence our lower oil pressures. Our rings have to expand on warm-up, etc.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

LEVI,

Has your low oil pressure lite ever gone on when at WOT from either a stand still or a roll.

I have an email into MTI to see what they say and will try running a little extra oil in the car as this has only happened to me once so far. However, once is too much for me and my comfort level.

Short of tearing the engine apart, does anyone have any other suggestions such as running a heavier weight oil, etc. Right now during breakin i'm running Penzoil, non synthetic 10 W 40. Maybe 20W 50 and a 1/2 extra qt. of oil will solve my problem. I don't know but am open and appreciate any helpful suggestions short of shipping my car back to MTI.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

LEVI,

Has your low oil pressure lite ever gone on when at WOT from either a stand still or a roll.

Nope, never had that happen. Once off idle I have 40+ PSI of pressure.

Short of tearing the engine apart, does anyone have any other suggestions such as running a heavier weight oil, etc. Right now during breakin i'm running Penzoil, non synthetic 10 W 40. Maybe 20W 50 and a 1/2 extra qt. of oil will solve my problem. I don't know but am open and appreciate any helpful suggestions short of shipping my car back to MTI.
After I put the LS6 valley/PCV on I'm gonna run Amsoil 20W50 Series 2000.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:53 AM

Stroker motor tolerances aren't as tight as factory LS1 motors, hence our lower oil pressures. Our rings have to expand on warm-up, etc.
Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure. You get your oil pressure from the bearings (cam, rod and mains).
Old 10-12-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

[quote Our rings have to expand on warm-up, etc.

[/quote]

[/quote]

DOH, I meant to put that with the reasoning I'm gonna run 20W/50 to decrease oil blow-by on start-up. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno about running an oil that's quite so thick (20W50) even with the looser tolerances of these stroker motors....... It takes awhile for oil that thick to start circulating on startup especially if it's anywhere near cold outside. I just read a post somewhere where some guy had a 383 built and decided to run 20W50 in it because it was "racing oil"..... needless to say the motor was toast in 6 mos. I think he spun a rod bearing or two... can't remember exactly.

If it was me I'd run a thinner weight of the amsoil like a 10W40. That should help increase oil pressure and decrease blowby a little I'd think, that is if you're running something like a 5 or 10W30. I've also heard of guys running mostly the thinner weight with a quart or two of the 20W50 of the same brand to help decrease the oil consumption.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

20-50 weight oil works fine. I have some valvoline 20-50 in my 422 that is getting broken in right now. Oil pressure is usually in the 35+ psi range. My buddy has been running 20-50 and has over 20k miles on the engine without a problem and revs over 7k on the regular. We have set out bearing clearances at .002 inch. Maybe the oring on the pump is off a little. Definitely try adding an extra half quart to see how it effects oil pressure. You could always add on a oil pan heater if the weather is too cold. 10-40 should be ok for break in also.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Teching In

When using 20-50 in the summer it's great but if it gets cold on start up you will have low to no pressure for the first few seconds. My oil pressure with 10-30 will get a little lower when it gets hot about 240+ degrees.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

After having the car sit over night i checked my oil level again and looks like i was about 1/2 qt low. I threw in a full qt and did a bit more testing and so far so good. My idle psi went up by about 4 to about 23 or 24 while idling at stop lites and cruising at 2000 to 3000 rpm on the highway i average about 43 to 48 psi. Went WOT a few times on the highway and once from a standstill and although the pressure is a bit lower than i would like no more "Low oil pressure" Warning NEVER went off. WIll keep a close eye on this and await MTI's advice. Hopefully i will be good to go running about 1/2 qt of extra oil but time will tell.

Will running synthetic mobil one effect my oil pressure on way or the other? I assume not if the weight is the same i am running now which is 10 W 40 non synthetic.

Quick Reply: Does Katech or any other vendor offer a high volume oil pump