Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall/Cam opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall/Cam opinions?

Here's the scenario. Finally laid out my plans to mod and just need some help on deciding a thing or two.
Definite mods:
-Pacesetter Ceramic or Kooks Stainless lt's (do ceramic eventually rust through, is there a life lasting coating for pacesetters?)
-3" Cat-less h-pipe (custom made)
-Dumped exit: Dual 18" Bullet mufflers or loudmouth 2 resonators (look the same, not sure if there is padding in the bullets, I know the resonators are hollow)
-SLP Lid
-FTRA
-Spohm Chromoly SFC
-245/255 wide Drag radials (nittos or BFG depending if I want to get winter tires)
-Dyno Tune

Now here is the decision. I know I have read stall before cam, so that's what I was going to do (don't have enough money for both), but I have some questions about it. First I will tell you this is my DD, and I don't want to go with a stall over 3600rpm. 2nd, for a cam I want something that won't need new springs every 10k miles, preferably getting a cam with springs that can last at least 15k miles (I hear that is the only maintenence for a cam). Questions:
1. If I get a 3600rpm stall, How big of a cam can I get in a DD and what would be the biggest DD cam I want? XXX/XXX would be good. Looking for good overall powerband (low/mid and high rpms)
2. Would a lower stall be better suited for a DD looking for max potential and streetability?
3. How much does it cost to replace springs for a cam?
4. $1200 is a safe max estimate for stall, oil cooler and install?
5. I had an auto mustang V6 and could tune it to +25% torque something into shift and it shifted much harder. Is that what a shift kit would do to the camaro?
6. Will the stall spin my tires from a low rpm launch or low mph WOT roll? If yes, any ideas on where to get cheap 16/17X10-11 rims?

And I will install an oil cooler with the the Stall. I looked up the answers to a few of my questions (4 and 2), but assurance on the answers would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. Any help?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but you really need to do a lot more research.