Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help

Does more compresstion make more power and torque, and what do i have to do to get more compression. What kind of heads and pistons do i need. I have bbk intake, headers, p&p tb, lid on latter the cam is going in. The cam is a torquer 2 it 232/234 dur. 595. 598 lift 112 lsa
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, more compression will increase power. You can use any head you want you just need to have it milled down. This will give you a smaller combustion chamber thus increasing your CR. You have flat top pistons in the car stock. You can look into a domed piston for increasing CR as well. Lastly is using a thinner head gasket. Cometic makes a .040" head gasket that many use when trying to increase compression.

When increasing compression using any of the above ways you need to keep a very close eye on your piston to valve clearance, also, do you want to be able to run the car on pump gas or do you want to run a higher octane fuel? This needs to be taken into account as well. Will you be adding a power adder in the future or just running H/C? Blowers and turbos generally will need a lower CR while nitrous loves higher CR's.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will maybe add nos. How much power will i make with the compresstion upgrade? And what do i do about the piston and valve clearance
Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will maybe add nos on pump gas . How much power will i make with the compresstion upgrade? And what do i do about the piston and valve clearance
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Yes, more compression will increase power. You can use any head you want you just need to have it milled down. This will give you a smaller combustion chamber thus increasing your CR. You have flat top pistons in the car stock. You can look into a domed piston for increasing CR as well. Lastly is using a thinner head gasket. Cometic makes a .040" head gasket that many use when trying to increase compression.

When increasing compression using any of the above ways you need to keep a very close eye on your piston to valve clearance, also, do you want to be able to run the car on pump gas or do you want to run a higher octane fuel? This needs to be taken into account as well. Will you be adding a power adder in the future or just running H/C? Blowers and turbos generally will need a lower CR while nitrous loves higher CR's.
MAYBE RUN 100 SHOT NOS AND PUMP GAS IT WILL BE DD. HOW MUCH POWER WILL I MAKE WITH THE COMPRESSTION UPGRADE. AND WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THE PISTON AND VALVE CLEARUNCE.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody info will help
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would not waste time trying to get power by increasing the compression ratio. These engines already need high octane fuel, a higher compression ratio will just make it worse. If you are changing the heads and using the cam you mentioned I'd recomend a ported set of 5.3 heads and thinner headgaskets. Together they should get you almost 11:1 CR. The extra overlap of that cam will need a little more compression to run properly.

Re'