Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info about "prepping" a head?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info about "prepping" a head?

A little while ago, I saw a post with a picture describing a procedure that you needed to do to a ported head before you install it. From what I can remember, the procedure involved the need to fill a small hole in one of the ports that opened up during the porting process or something. It was an easy issue to fix, but I just want to make sure I don't need to do anything special to my heads when I get them before they go on the block. Can anyone recall this or help me out. I tried searching but had no luck. Thanks, all.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:52 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Default Re: Info about

The hole they are referring to is the rocker arm boss. It is usually removed during porting. Use some loctite or silicon on the intake rocker bolts to prevent oil from leaking past the threads and into the port.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

So that's all it is? I assume you'll see it pretty easily when you look into the port, correct? From what I recall, it was fairly small. Just a little red loctite on the intake rockers will cure it then? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this a problem? I have a set of heads that were ported...no holes....wnt to change springs and noticed every intake port has a tiny hole in it at the same place. I blew air down the rocker bolt hole and it comes out the intake port hole. Just put sealer on the threads and let it rip?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

I used ARP thread sealant, and after 700miles, my heads are still clean on the inside, no oil.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Info about "prepping" a head?

When you get your heads back from the machine shop be SURE to check this area closely. I found metal filings inside all those intake bolt holes.