Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fractured Rod Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fractured Rod Question

Got an 02 B4C that lost a rod while still doing duty as a cop car. GM fixed it. Now I have the eng apart and all my rods are machined, not fractured. I thought all the Camaro / TA's had fractured rods. Also - all the pistons are coated...again, I thought none of the Camaro / TA's came with coated pistons?

Did GM upgrade the piston & rod assemblies on this eng when they did the repair?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

post some pictures?

did you buy the car directly from the cops or did it change hands in between? youd think if it lost a rod the engine would be replaced not repaired
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

My thoughts as well. The computer at the dealership just says that there was a rod issue on cyl 6 and they "repaired" it. It was under warranty so maybe they just put a new engine in considering the customer? Yes - got it from the Sheriffs dept up by Detroit.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Also, this thing is like new on the inside. This is the 3rd LS I have had apart with 100k miles and this one is like new... bearings, liner walls, piston rings, skirts, etc. Even the aluminum looks like new with no brown oil stains. Not what I was expecting from car that had the hell ran out of it.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

i can tell you that gm started putting coated pistons in because so many people were complaining about piston slap.... and i heard if you complained enough when you had a warranty you got a new motor! so no they did not come with coated pistons but if it was a replacement motor they were!