Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 build questions

So I have a chance to pick up a complete 6.0 motor for $600, with 120K miles. This is going into my Chevelle project. I am planning on building the same motor CarCraft did with the L92 heads and Comp Cams XR281HR, with the GMPP L92 carb intake.

My question is, what should I do in regards to the shortblock? Change the heads and cam and just run with it? If I reuse the piston/rods/crank how cheap can I get away with getting the shortblock rebuilt with new bearings/rings etc?

Trying to see if it would be cheaper to find a motor with less miles and just install it without tearing it down, or go with this one and put in new bearings etc.

Thanks all, and if you haven't read their build, check it out. 550HP with a simple head/cam swap

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Assuming it's all in good order,

A new set of bearings and a hone would suffice, but I'd definately fit a set of forged pistons and go ARP bolts on the conrods and cylinder heads.
Maybe also replace the stock oil pump and port it.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sid447
Assuming it's all in good order,

A new set of bearings and a hone would suffice, but I'd definately fit a set of forged pistons and go ARP bolts on the conrods and cylinder heads.
Maybe also replace the stock oil pump and port it.
Yeah everything I have read so far has said to at least upgrade the rod bolts. The car is just going to be a weekend cruiser, nothing fancy
Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I'm doing the exact same thing, just into a 72 Camaro. Which carb choice would be the best? If you are going to put a fresh set of pistons in it would it be worth it to bore it in the process?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 72Obsessed
I'm doing the exact same thing, just into a 72 Camaro. Which carb choice would be the best? If you are going to put a fresh set of pistons in it would it be worth it to bore it in the process?
IMO,
If the cylinders check out okay just a hone either for stock size or 1st oversize.

If you can find a shop that can re-bore the cylinders straight and do a real good job; your choice. You might want to check on piston sizing and availability though.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For that engine build the GM oil pump, unported, is fine and the stock rod bolts (not a high revving combo) will be fine. I know I will get jumped on but there are MILLIONS of the LS based engines on the road getting beat on everyday without the rods falling out of the pan.

You don't need forged pistons unless you are going to blow on it or spray the crap out of it.