Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain question?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain question?

Not sure how to ask this question, Doing heads and 224 cam swap and I was going to order a new timing chain. So my question is when is an adjustable chain used vs non adjustable used? And an upgraded chain can use the stock sprockets?
I guess I am asking if I take LS6 chain or something comparable will work on the car, nothing else is needed? It just takes place of the stock chain.
Car is 02 LS1, M6
Hope this makes sense
Thank you
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

I can't really answer your question about the adjustable chain, but... a pretty common timing chain swap is the LS2 timing chain, which i used on mine. it's about $35 and yes it just swaps right in, with nothing additional required.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS2 is a good chain, looks much thicker than the stock one I replaced. You can just use your stock gears if they look OK and replace the chain. The adjustable part is the gears themselves, there are a couple of types. If you're happy with the advance built into the cam and you're not going to degree the cam when you install it then there is no reason to get an adjustable timing set.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by massls1guy
The LS2 is a good chain, looks much thicker than the stock one I replaced. You can just use your stock gears if they look OK and replace the chain. The adjustable part is the gears themselves, there are a couple of types. If you're happy with the advance built into the cam and you're not going to degree the cam when you install it then there is no reason to get an adjustable timing set.
thank you for the help, I understand now

Search this Thread