Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

706 Heads on LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 706 Heads on LS1

I have recently acquired a LS1/6 spd out of a 99' Camaro for my S-10 Swap project.

Looking into the motor a bit more, it has :

Edelbrock LTs
B&M Short Throw
De-screened MAF
Ported Throttle Body
LS6 Intake
Dual Valve Springs
706 5.3 Heads
was told a 'mild' cam
SLP Underdrive pulley

Now I have searched for info into 5.3 heads on a LS1, and it seems like they are decent heads, and raise the compression about a point. Now I also read that you need to put bigger valves in them as well, or you don't really gain anything out of them.

My question is, with the listed upgrades above, what are the chances they put on 5.3 heads without doing any valve work? I ask because I don't really want to take it apart to find out, would really like to just put it in my S10 and go. I plan to Dyno tune it once it is in, so I will get the actually HP at that time, but for now I was just trying to get a ballpark of what HP this motor would have.

Thanks,
-Cory
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not gonna try to guess the horsepower without knowing more about the heads and exact cam specs. But I'll say that the 5.3 heads are fine even without larger valves. They flow almost identical to stock LS1 heads and have the added compression, so they are fine to leave on.

If you want to check to see if you have aftermarket valves you can pull one of the springs and check the stem for markings. Most performance valves I've seen mark the stems with the brand, size, and part number.

Quick Reply: 706 Heads on LS1