Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power after rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power after rebuild?

May be a dumb question, but here it goes.
LS1 with 98k miles, spun rod bearing so getting it rebuilt, new crank, lifters, main/rod bearings, connecting rods, spark plugs/wires, everythings gonna be torn down and cleaned. if everything in the motor was original including plugs, could i expect any more power afterwards? Im not expecting much, but figure it should be running a hell of a lot better with the complete rebuild. any input, thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had stock everything including plugs than im sure you'll pick up a little power. But usually i wouldn't really expect a big gain just by rebuilding. Who is doing the rebuild?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Ryan, (69DodgeCharger) off of norcal-ls1
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by airmaxon1
Ryan, (69DodgeCharger) off of norcal-ls1
Oh ok. I should of hit him up. I didn't know he did rebuilds. You are going to have that thing fixed pretty fast. How long has it been like a month?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

probley not. you should at least stick a bigger cam or something while your in there.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Oh ok. I should of hit him up. I didn't know he did rebuilds. You are going to have that thing fixed pretty fast. How long has it been like a month?
yep he does, he's doin the same rebuild on a z06 right now. yeah a little over a month, he's pickin it up tommorow and should be done mid next week, cant wait to get back in the car!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will just pick up the power that has been lost over its life. If it were me I would go back with some better stuff, such as: JE rings, nice cam, mill the heads a lil, a thinner headgasket, LS2 chain, replace both front and rear main seals just to name a few things.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Ya I would upgrade the motor. You might even loose power beacuse the carbon build up on the pistons increase compression over time until rings start leaking. At 98k i doubt that had happened yet. Stick a cam in her and a better chain and rings and springs.

The weakest part of the ls1 is the weight in the valve train.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

yep he does, he's doin the same rebuild on a z06 right now. yeah a little over a month, he's pickin it up tommorow and should be done mid next week, cant wait to get back in the car!
Well thats good to know. I've seen you a few times when i use to work for the city of Martinez. I actually seen it parked in front of your house so i stopped by to admire it

I'm glad you are getting it fixed so fast. I'll keep ryan in mind just in case i need to rebuild one day
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Well thats good to know. I've seen you a few times when i use to work for the city of Martinez. I actually seen it parked in front of your house so i stopped by to admire it

I'm glad you are getting it fixed so fast. I'll keep ryan in mind just in case i need to rebuild one day
haha, really? wouldn't happen to be a building inspector?
yeah he's a really cool guy, came by at 8 tonight to trailer the car back to his house and start workin on it, then he's gonna trailer it here when he's done.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Veteran

haha, really? wouldn't happen to be a building inspector?
yeah he's a really cool guy, came by at 8 tonight to trailer the car back to his house and start workin on it, then he's gonna trailer it here when he's done.
No i wasn't a building inspector. I was killing time one day and just happened to pull into your court and to my surprise i found an ls1. I actually took a pic of it with my cell because i like mystic teal. Thats good news. Hopefully i'll run into you soon at a gtg
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

My friend spun 2 rod bearings in his 98 which I'm currently rebuilding, had to get the crank cut .040...He's going to redo the heads right? It would be dumb to throw on some carbon filled most likely somewhat leaky valve sealing heads.

All I did was a steam clean, checked guides for wear, wire wheeled the valves and lapped in all the valves to the original seats they were in. Originally I was able to see light between the valve and seat when I shined a light in a port.After I was done no more light and did a compression test and it jumped up a considerable amount before doing it.

+1 for throwing in some better pistons, chains, cam etc.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Banned

I've heard people make claims, a stock rebuild torque plate honing the block, line honing and 5 angle valve job on stock heads have picked up 20hp.

For example, factory rings in LS1 are low tension, most aftermarket rings we use are standard tension, they're better. Costs horsepower.

so I think most likely you'll be at the same power you were before.