Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor finally finished; Suggestions/opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor finally finished; Suggestions/opinions?

Finally pieced the motor together!

LS6 heads ported, polished and shaved to 59cc combustion chambers, LS6 intake manifold, 42# injectors, Diamond racing flat-top pistons with 2cc valve reliefs, Total Seal rings with the top ring at .020 and the bottom ring at .016, Eagle H-beam rods with ARP2000 bolts, 239/242, .649"/.609" cam with 111 LSA, stock stroke, stock bore. Before the rebuild I was spraying a 200 shot with just the cam and landing in the high 11s on ET Streets (at 7000ft... I see guys at sea level getting these times on a cam alone which depresses me) every weekend for about a year with no problems.

Now my questions are...Is it safe to push a larger shot? I think a 200 is great and has proven safe and reliable but a 300 just for grins every now and then wouldn't be all that bad, would it? I noticed that my car isn't THAT much faster all motor than it used to be...Is this due to the larger gap in the rings? I also keep killing o2 sensors at an alarming rate, but I figure that's just because it's tuned really rich for the nitrous, right? When I start slow from a stop at around 25% throttle, it feels and sounds as if it lags or misses and when I go up to about 50% throttle the exhaust note shifts and the car kinda leaps. And no the leap and the change of sound isn't from the increase throttle, it's totally different. Lastly, I noticed that around 6k rpm and above, my lights dim. I recently replaced my alternator with a high output so I'm pretty sure its not that. Anybody else have this problem?

Any help/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Last edited by Anti-Venom SS; 03-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have the car dyno tuned or just a mail order? If its a mail order get the car to a tuner and let them do their thing. Your car should not be running that rich and missing/lagging. Also running that rich can wash the oil off the cylinder walls and burn up your new rings. Off topic where do live @ 7,000ft? I'm in parkcity UT and alot of the roads around here are 6,500-7,500ft and it's a big power killer.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Launching!

your ring gap seems a bit tight to me for a 200+ shot. Did Diamond give you the ring gap recommendation?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

It was just a mail-order from TSP. But now that you say that, I'm going to get to dyno tuned next week! I live up in Santa Fe, New Mexico...It sucks doesn't it?! I read posts all day saying that their cam only cars hit 11's. **** I'm lucky to break 12's all motor lol Have you taken your blown monster to the track?

Yeah I called up Total Seal and TSP to get two opinions and they both said the same thing, so I'm hoping they're right... I'll start asking around again and if you're right I'll probably just stick with a 150 or 200 shot
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anti-Venom SS
It was just a mail-order from TSP. But now that you say that, I'm going to get to dyno tuned next week! I live up in Santa Fe, New Mexico...It sucks doesn't it?! I read posts all day saying that their cam only cars hit 11's. **** I'm lucky to break 12's all motor lol Have you taken your blown monster to the track?

Yeah I called up Total Seal and TSP to get two opinions and they both said the same thing, so I'm hoping they're right... I'll start asking around again and if you're right I'll probably just stick with a 150 or 200 shot
I had a mail order tune when done for the first start up with FI and the new moter and it was pig rich and I had to change spark plugs on the dyno after 2 pulls. Nothing will replace a dyno tune. I have not had a chance to take my car to a 1/4 mile track yet, I have been getting some fine tuning done to the car and I just sent a fuel pump to lonnies proformance for a dual pump setup since I'm running out of fuel at 5500-6000 rpms. I'm hoping to get the car retuned in late april, may with out running out of fuel.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of compression are you at with 59cc heads and -2cc pistons ?? How's your PTV ?? Be careful and don't miss a shift, she sounds awfully tight.

Any dyno numbers ?? Graph ?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a mail-order tune on a cam-only setup that was very lean...like 16:1 lean! You need to have it tuned with a wideband or on a dyno to verify it's not a bad tune.