Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Engine Removal from the Top for F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for Engine Removal from the Top for F-Body

I located several excellent descriptions on dropping out the bottom, but not out the top. I am especially interested in how to support the trans, difficulty of aligning trans splines on assembly, where to attach chain to pull motor, with or without hood attached, etc. Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest way to take it out the top is to remove the trans completely. Since you have to unbolt it from the engine anyway, all that's left to do is disconnect the driveshaft, torque arm, cross member and shift linkage (if it's an auto). That's about 30 minutes worth of work. And you're definitely gonna have to remove the intake manifold. With that off, you can install a lift plate and use that to lift it out of the car.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

And the hood has to come off.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I think I will leave the tranny in place sitting on a transmission sissors hoist. Disconnect the torque arm and remove the shifter so I can rotate the housing to help slip into the splines. I ordered the valley plate. Thanks for the suggestion. I did three speeds sitting on my chest while laying on my back when I was a kid. Don't think you can do that with a M6
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

I just did mine not too long ago using the qtp plate. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be.

Last edited by fbam; 03-26-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest, for the amount of bending and disconnecting, I personally think taking it out from the bottom is the fastest way, that way the rad and all that stuff can stay in the car, my 2cents. 3 bolts each side of the k member, 4 for the trans tail mount., 2 front lines from the block.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I think I will leave the tranny in place sitting on a transmission sissors hoist. Disconnect the torque arm and remove the shifter so I can rotate the housing to help slip into the splines. I ordered the valley plate. Thanks for the suggestion. I did three speeds sitting on my chest while laying on my back when I was a kid. Don't think you can do that with a M6
you CAN, but it's not real comfortable...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

You're gonna have to take the driveshaft and cross member off anyway just to get the engine tilted down far enough to get to the top bell housing bolts. So at that point, all that left to do is roll it out from under the car.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

BigBoy, I am doing it by myself and I have plenty of time. If I was younger, I might try wrestling the engine/trans K-member around.

Ok, I will just plan on pulling the trans first. On the M6, do you pull the center council to get at the shifter?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drop the tranny, take accessories off the motor, strap a chain diagonal across the heads, use an engine leveler and cherry picker, take hood off, pull the motor out. You have to get the motor off the motor mounts, then you can start pulling the motor out, you want to have the front of the motor come out at an angle....it will come out no problem. I have done it this way 6 times.....
Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hell I took the trans and engine out in 1 shot through the top. disconnect everything (accessories, electrical, exhaust) Take off the intake manifold and tape over intake ports. pull out radiator. attach chain to front, and diagonal to the rear. Drop driveshaft, and drain trans. disconnect the shifter. lower trans crossmember and start lifting.

I like the top. Too many adjustments in the suspension get goofed up dropping the K.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't have to remove the hood...depends on your cherry picker dimensions. With the car raised a couple of feet, the angle was fine, but my heads were off. I removed the trans. Follow every one elses instructions above.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Been there, done that very recently.

1. you don't have to take the transmission off to get the motor out.
2. you don't have to take the hood off to get the motor out.
3. you need AT LEAST 2, but preferably 3 sets of hands to coordinate all of this without transmission and hood removal.

We pulled the radiator, condensor, all of the accessories, the headers and the intake. With the front of the car on jackstands, and the cherry picker arm extended to the maxiumum, you can lift the motor with the transmission still attached our of the car. you will get close to the nose of the hood, but just have someone give the hood a little extra lift and it will clear just fine. worst case, disconnect the hood struts for the 2 minutes you've got the motor in the way and have one of your pair of hands hold the hood out of the way.

I've done it both ways now, from underneath and from the top. Underneath is easier if you have the gear and a lift, but it isn't always practical in a home garage... ...from the top isn't that hard and can be done in a few hours if you have a few friends around to help you.

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

i took my engine and trans out thru the top as well last time. I removed the hood on mine to do so, but I'm not sure if that is completely necessary, I just didn't want to risk it. If you take them both out the top, You have to remove the radiator. I didn't remove my condenser tho cuz I didn't want to have to recharge the AC, so I just dropped it down as far as it would go. Don't forget to disconnect the tranny hydraulic cable, and drain the fluid out of the trans either. I forgot to drain it and got a huge mess on my garage floor when it all came spilling out the back

I did it from the top also because I didnt want to have to get the car realigned and have to bleed the brakes from disconnecting them.

I'm going to pull my shortblock this weekend and leave the trans in and I plan to do it out the top again since my heads and intake are already off and all the wiring is disconnected anyway.

Quick Reply: Looking for Engine Removal from the Top for F-Body