Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time working in motor, would like advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First time working in motor, would like advice

Tomorrow, I'll have access to a shop (by myself, so I can't ask for help ) and I want to pull my Valve Cover and check my pushrods, lifters, and rockers.

I have a tapping noise, people here have diagnosed it as a bent pushrod or rocker, and my Dad says he thinks its a lazy lifter. I've never worked inside an engine, and I'd like to know what to look for lifter and rocker-wise. I understand if a pushrod is bent, it will... well be bent. How can I tell a bad rocker or lifter? Any recommendations or heads up for what I'm doing?

I really hope to fix this tomorrow, I'll have a new pushrod (just in case) and a new valve cover gasket.

Also, if I discover it is one of those three things, is it already to only replace ONE of them, rather than pulling both covers and replacing every one of them?

Really appreciate any advice, I'm kind of nervous about this. I don't want to break anything (anymore than it is).
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

you cant change lifters without pulling the heads.. but its real easy to pull a valvecover and manually check the pushrods, remember to rotate the engine so the pushrods you check arent under load... when you find it, pull the rocker and reinstall... and dont overtighten anything!!!!!! if you arent used to working on aluminum engines it is real easy to strip a thread when you get over enthusiastic about tightening stuff.... so either only use the electric impact wrench (not pneumatic) or use the lb/in torque wrench...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Second Club

Don't get rough and start ripping stuff out. LOL Good luck in your search..
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

You can unbolt the rockers easily and pull out the pushrods. I'd do them one at a time and roll them on a piece of glass or other smooth flat surface. You'll see even a slightly bent one right away. Also inspect the rockers for missing needle bearings, etc. Search LS1howto or universityinstall.com for torque specs and procedures in their valvespring or rocker sections. If it's a lifter, you're fugged and the head(s) will come off. If a lifter came apart, you'll have small chunks in your oil.Keep in mind exhaust leaks can sound like valvetrain noise. Good luck!