Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP, engine noise?

motor is making a ticking or taping sort of noise from the oil pan area, or is much louder under the car, not hardly noticeable under the hood. usually its there sometimes it sounds fine, but its not normal for sure. only has 40k mi and bought it stock with 36k mi. only raced it twice so far. first time out i roasted my stock clutch going from WOT in first to fourth gear, or what was left of it anyway. could that have done anything? this is my 3rd ls1 and been around a ton. have never ran into this before. anyone had similar experience or ideas? not to crazy about racing in the shootout in a few weeks without knowing what it is.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:57 AM
liqour enthusiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
motor is making a ticking or taping sort of noise from the oil pan area, or is much louder under the car, not hardly noticeable under the hood. usually its there sometimes it sounds fine, but its not normal for sure. only has 40k mi and bought it stock with 36k mi. only raced it twice so far. first time out i roasted my stock clutch going from WOT in first to fourth gear, or what was left of it anyway. could that have done anything? this is my 3rd ls1 and been around a ton. have never ran into this before. anyone had similar experience or ideas? not to crazy about racing in the shootout in a few weeks without knowing what it is.
im having the same problem with my car. i can feel the tapping noise through the clutch but it sounds like its comming from the oil pan. im taking the car in today so ill let you know what my problem was
Old 07-21-2004, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was a squeeking sound i would say you spun a bearing turninig it to 7k with the t-rex, but the tapping leavs me to belive utherwise.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:56 PM
liqour enthusiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
im thinking its the oil pump, because when i turn the car off my oil pressure on the dash goes to 40, but my aftermarket one goes to zero
Old 07-22-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prolly its that or you spun a rod or main bearing.spun a rod bearing 2years ago on the 98z.open it up and take a peek.