Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??

so i just bought a 98 6spd z28 ..

had some ticking noises and was down on power ..
turned out to be a unpluged spark plug wire and oh yeah a fucked up ringland .

looking for a quick fix . i have a 408 being built so dont care much about this block ..

i also have a spare 01 vette block sitting in my garage as well as a brand new 370 nitrous motor for my rx7 ... im pondering just droping one of these in the z28 ..

or i can say **** it and buy 1 good contion piston and replace the broken one and call it a day and have the car running till the 408 is done (hopefully less than 2 months )

this is what im leaning at for a quick and cheap fix .

is it possible to remove piston and rod with the motor still in the car ? its the second on to the front of the passenger side .. dnt really feel like pulling it out .. i might as well stick on of the other ls1 i have i have to remove the whole block and tranny ..this is just a quick fix and i knw its not a long term thing .. altought the car actually ran pretty well for being down on power ..

any input ?? i bought the car cheap so i figured it was beat up .. not as bad as i tought anyways !
Attached Thumbnails Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??-dsc04022.jpg   Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??-dsc04023.jpg   Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??-dsc04024.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it can be done but measuring clearances will be a b*tch with the motor in the car. also looking at the piston it looks like you will need some new heads. so if i where you i would drop by the scrap and buy an ls1 or lq9 and drop it in.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i have like 3 spare motors .. just wanted to do this cheao and fast . i knw its not the best for long term but only needed it running for the next 2-3 months .. it ran pretty good even with the busted ring land .. the hads or find a 20thousants mill will clean up the rest of the nicks in it .
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just suspend the engine and drop the K-Member and do all the basic removal stuff. It takes time but its really not that hard.

Fwiw, with the help of -Joseph- I just did this process in my C5 and it was super easy.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would slap a piston and rod in it, check the clearance at the crank and rock on. I have done it before and usually a factory piston assy. is close enough you dont have to check anything but the crank bearing clearance. My .02 its the fastest and cheapest fix
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the rods fine piston will be replaced .. just wondering if i could do it with the motor still in the car .. not looking to spend alot of money for this quick of a fix . if i have to pull it i will drop in my 01 vett block .. so has anyone ever done it ? just 1 piston ??
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll probably catch flack for this, but go ahead and just swap the one piston... I seriously doubt that GM took the time to blueprint these assemblies from the factory so there shouldn't be "that much" difference in the weight of the pistons from one motor of the same year to the other.... In your cirumcstances, where the motor only has to run for two months, this is exactily what I would do..
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah that what i was thinking also .. so it is possible to do this right with the motor still in place ? the pic shows the bad piston
Attached Thumbnails Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??-bad-piston.jpg  
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unbolt it from the crank and tap it out! I have done it a couple times for a quick fix as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beedo
Unbolt it from the crank and tap it out! I have done it a couple times for a quick fix as well.
What he said ^^^^^^

Just clean up the ring ridge up top so the old **** comes out easier and mainly the new piston/rings go in smooth....and to swap just the pistons you'll need a press and some pin/piston adaptors or have a machine shop swap the pistons on the rods since they should be press fit?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i actually just pulled the engine . ima fix it and stick it in my trans am and put in the vett long block till the 408 gets done .

notmyvett nice pony .. i have a 88 coupe with h/c/i 306 on the juice !
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by randomnine7
yeah i actually just pulled the engine . ima fix it and stick it in my trans am and put in the vett long block till the 408 gets done .

notmyvett nice pony .. i have a 88 coupe with h/c/i 306 on the juice !
Thanks, I actually have another one I got a turbo kit for and now I'm in the middle of putting together a 408 for the black stang...Let me know if ya need any stang parts

Quick Reply: Removing piston and rod with motor still in car ??