Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder heads selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder heads selection

what are the things that must be considered in selecting cylinder heads. ? or how I know the best heads for my engine. ?

is there any mathematical equations or some simple guidelines can help with choosing the best Cylinder heads ??

Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet would be to get with some one who has built a few talk to them and have them guide you down the right path.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Why don't you give us you full mods and goal for the car. Your question is too generic.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I'm wondering if there are somethings I have to conseder before selecting the heads.

Anyone who built engines will tell me the best choice but I want to know why and how he knows that the heads he chosen are the best.? how he knows the best specs ?

that's my question... ( how Do you know the best cylinder heads for your project.?? )
Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by khalaf
...how Do you know the best cylinder heads for your project.??
Lots of money and R&D.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

what are the things that must be considered in selecting cylinder heads. ? or how I know the best heads for my engine. ?

is there any mathematical equations or some simple guidelines can help with choosing the best Cylinder heads ??

From my 2 months of being an engine builder never done one before so take it with a grain of salt. It really depends what power you are looking for and where you want your engine to be making the power. A lot would have to do with your cam design the flow numbers on the heads and the quality of the machining of the heads. **** it just go with the most expensive..thats what I did.. just kidding but for my build I do know that I wanted power from 2k-7k and looking across at head choices I looked at AFR 205's and seemed that after 4k the heads unleashed the furry when it came to hp increases so I chose to go with them and had my cam spec'd to my heads along with related mods, example exhaust/power adders ect. Im learning everyday with my buddy who has done numerous builds and always asking questions which I think he gets pissed for having to explain himself, but hell with it, I just buy him beer

Last edited by SkylarkLS1; 04-08-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short answer is NO. You will hear lots of flowbench number claims that dispute this advice, however. Try not to choose based on "velocity" and "CFM" numbers.

Choose a very good and respected engine builder like Eric (racer7088) who has built engines that make great torque, power and perform well in actual vehicles on the road and track. If you have him build you an engine he will recommend/choose appropriate heads. If you are going to build it yourself, search for his posts about heads he uses. Buying them from him would be a thought.

There are other good sources of information and heads, but they don't necessarily hang out here.

Your goals and budget for your engine are very important considerations. Have those in mind when you start searching.

Caveat emptor!

Jon