Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chunks of metal on oil plug, valve springs breaking at tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Default Chunks of metal on oil plug, valve springs breaking at tips?

Last oil change found one of these on the oil plug magnet and couldn't really figure out what it was, this oil change today found two more, after looking and thinking it looks like the tips of the valve springs, looks like the ends of the springs where they contact the head/retainer.

Anyone else seen this before? Im sure its because my springs are old and the raised rev limiter to 6600. This is on stock cam btw. Oh well have two other sets of springs in the garage no biggie but here's some pics for ya'll to check out. Only minor carnage pics sorry lol.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-09-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the end of a valve spring
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, springs. Looks just like the comp 918s that came out of mine
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Had a chance to change the springs yesterday, those pieces are the upper tips of the springs, I was in a hurry so I need to recount but it broke 7 or 8 of them, so far I only have 3 of those pieces though. So hopefully the rest come out lol. Oh well I slapped in some LS6 springs and new retainers and went to the track. Just weird that they would break there though
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

With luck like that you should play the Powerball. Hope you find the remaining pieces. Any idea what caused this. Were they Comp 918s or OEMs. I had one Comp 918 blue stripe break years ago, but didn't find it until I took the head apart for shipment to Richard at WCCH to be CNCed. The sping broke at the end of the first bottom coil, but amazingly it stayed together while the engine was running. I have no idea how long that spring had been broken. Now that I think about it I probably should have played the Powerball that day myself.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

scary!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think I would run the motor, until I found the others, or at least tore the motor down and made sure there weren't in there somewhere. That could certainly cause your motor to self destruct!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock springs barely control the stock cam/valve train to the stock rev limiter. And with mileage they won't even rev that high. Why did you raise it? Likely the springs are breaking where they are because you are floating them with the higher rev limiter. Best inspect the rest of the parts when you swap the springs.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
With luck like that you should play the Powerball. Hope you find the remaining pieces. Any idea what caused this. Were they Comp 918s or OEMs. I had one Comp 918 blue stripe break years ago, but didn't find it until I took the head apart for shipment to Richard at WCCH to be CNCed. The sping broke at the end of the first bottom coil, but amazingly it stayed together while the engine was running. I have no idea how long that spring had been broken. Now that I think about it I probably should have played the Powerball that day myself.
They were stock springs, old springs and higher rev limit caused it surely, well vavle float is the most likely cause.

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
I dont think I would run the motor, until I found the others, or at least tore the motor down and made sure there weren't in there somewhere. That could certainly cause your motor to self destruct!
Well I cant tear down the motor, I need to drive it, if it takes a **** it takes a ****, apparently there have been pieces floating around for months in there anyway, not really anything those pieces will do but either sit in the head or fall down the oil passages into the oil pan, most likely anyway.

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Stock springs barely control the stock cam/valve train to the stock rev limiter. And with mileage they won't even rev that high. Why did you raise it? Likely the springs are breaking where they are because you are floating them with the higher rev limiter. Best inspect the rest of the parts when you swap the springs.
The reason it was raised was because I did alot of bolt ons and removed egr, cats, AIR, so I needed the codes turned off, so while the guy was in there he gave it a little "tune" too. Every thing else looked good. And yeah I figured it was probably valve float too.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I found the same thing in my engine w/ 40k on it at my last oil change. I need to change the springs out but I keep waiting on my H/C swap.

I am probably living on borrowed time.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LS6 springs are relatively inexpensive, should control the stock valve train to the RPM you have the limiter set for and a straight drop in. I used them when I cleaned up my LS1 heads for rebuild.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vettenuts
LS6 springs are relatively inexpensive, should control the stock valve train to the RPM you have the limiter set for and a straight drop in. I used them when I cleaned up my LS1 heads for rebuild.
The way you stated that comment it was like you are advising that I get some?? Well in anycase I did post above that I have already installed LS6 springs, did the install the next day after finding the pieces and posting the pics. I was concerned at first with the difference in height of the LS6 springs compared to the LS1 springs, but after installing a couple and checking how far they were compressed with the stock cam it appeared there wouldn't be any problems using them.