Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam/LT install. Any tips for 1st install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/cam/LT install. Any tips for 1st install.

Okay I have a set of S2 heads, a TR 224 114 cam, FLP LT headers and have a LS6 intake in route. I have read through the install and was wondering if you guys had any tips for my first (and hopefully only) H/C swap. BTW, I have a 98.
One of the moderators from LS1 (Constrictor), will be helping me do the swap. Also, I have a Loudmouth - are there any mods needed between the FLP's and the Loudmouth?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One things for sure with all the changes you're about to make your going to need some tuning. Are you going to have a shop tune your new setup or are you going to do it yourself? Also, you might want to consider some larger injectors and porting the throttle body. Both mods will really add to the cars performance.

Good luck with your install,

Richard
Old 10-26-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red SS Barchetta
Okay I have a set of S2 heads, a TR 224 114 cam, FLP LT headers and have a LS6 intake in route. I have read through the install and was wondering if you guys had any tips for my first (and hopefully only) H/C swap. BTW, I have a 98.
One of the moderators from LS1 (Constrictor), will be helping me do the swap. Also, I have a Loudmouth - are there any mods needed between the FLP's and the Loudmouth?
I assume you'll be following http://www.ls1howto.com

The headers might be relatively easy to drop in from the top with the heads off. If anything, they will be easier to install the way you normally would.

good luck, take it slowly, start with the right tools, and if you start getting frustrated...take some time to watch some TV or something

chris
Old 10-26-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take your time and check everything twice.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Visceral, throw the headers in while the heads are off - either from the top or bottom - it makes things a lot easier (more "wiggle" room).

Lets see, what else.....oh yeah, I haven't read the write up, but make sure that when you take the heads off, you don't loose the locator dowels. These are very important. Oh and, make sure you take the coolant plug out of the back of the passenger side head and transfer it to your new set of heads while out of the car - its a PITA if you do it in car. Last thing - cleaning is very very important - make sure to get all the coolant and crap out of the bolt holes - do not take a shortcut on this part.

Other than that - just take your time and check and recheck everything. Its not a bad install at all.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the dowel pin - that is a biggie. I think my biggest concern is if I am going to have problems between the heads the FLP and the loudmouth......I think I recall reading somewhere that I will need to remove like 3" off the loudmouth to properly alighn with the FLP Y-pipe.
As for the cleaning part - I will take extra time and do that, as I will probably do the teardown and cleaning in one weekend and the reassembly in another.
As for tuning, I got the milder cam TR 224 114 and I have a M6. I will get it dyno tuned next spring as the car is pretty much put away for the remainder of the year.
I have PP S2 heads (98 year model specific)
a TR 224 114 cam
FLP's LT's (with cats)
LS6 intake (minus egr)
Hopefully I will be at the magical 400rwhp# post swap.